Sunday, December 13, 2009

Elizabeth Barton's "Red Gate" 12-13-09

"Red Gate" Elizabeth Barton 2003 39"W x 63"L
Cotton fabrics - hand dyed, screen printed - Machine and hand pieced, appliqued & stitched.
This is one of several quilts Elizabeth has based on her pictures taken in Whitby, an old fishing village in Yorkshire, UK. She says in one of her artist's statements, "I love the signs of age on old buildings and steps - the soft signs of the wear of many feet - the way the roof lines gently curve and the houses lean together." The photo she used as inspiration was taken many years ago and she felt it haunting her - it was 30 years before she made this quilt.
I had a thick folder on Elizabeth Barton's work before I ever saw one of her quilts "in-the-fabric". I had been looking at two different quilts on her website and knew I would buy one of them. Then in 2004 San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles featured Elizabeth in one of their exhibits and both quilts were included. I drove up to see my friend Mary and we visited the museum. I knew immediately which quilt I would choose. Elizabeth felt that since I had actually seen the quilt first in San Jose that the museum should have their profit, which I thought was an amazingly generous thing to do. Since then I have purchased three more E.Barton quilts directly from her and coveted quite a few more! I also count her among my quilt making friends around the world. A very special lady.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Terry Grant said...

I think Elizabeth Barton is my current very favorite quilt artist. Her work really speaks to me and I think you are so lucky to own this! Her blog is terrific too.

Suzanne Kistler said...

Fabulous! :)

Patty ♣ said...

I would Love to own this one!
I am glad you do! I like to read Elizabeth's Blog too!

Gerrie said...

Gaaa! I have loved her work since I first saw it. She just knows how to distill a scene down to just right.

June said...

This is one of the few quilted pieces that I _feel_ as a painting -- and that's a compliment. It is also, of course, fabric, not paint, which gives us as viewers double the joy.

You made a tremendous choice in getting this one.

Rayna said...

I have always loved her work and she is one of the most interesting people I've had the pleasure of spending time with. I also love reading her stimulating and thoughtful blog posts.

Corky said...

Beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing it.

Elizabeth Barton said...

thank you, Del! you and your comentors made my day!