Sunday, February 5, 2012

What a great evening! 02-03-12

Last night was the opening of three exhibits at the Visions Art Museum and also the grand "reveal" of the sign on the newly named "The Del Thomas Gallery".   It is what museums do when you donate a large amount of money!!  It was also the "First Friday" night when all the museums, galleries, studios, etc., are open to the public to show them to what they have on offer. There were lots of people at the Liberty Station complex and more than 750 people came through VAM, so most of the time it was packed.  I was pleased and honored that friends came from north Orange County and south Orange County and San Diego county to help me celebrate.  Thanks to each of you.  It was lovely!   And I was thrilled that Nancy Morgan who made the quilt "Night Bloom", which was on the exhibit card and the poster, flew in with her husband from Maine for the weekend.  How great for them that we are having such fabulous weather.  

 
Here is the wall with the forty twelve-inch square quilts.  They were purchased from individual artists, from SAQA online auction, the Alliance for American Quilts Auction, and some were gifts from artists.  They are only 40 of the 59 of this size, and of the 200 quilts in the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection.  There is a sign on the end wall with a diagram of the quilts showing the title and artist.  In addition there is a gallery guide that lists each quilt with the artist, where they live and a few lines that I wrote about why they are part of the Collection.   Photo by Karen Rips.

 
Beth Smith, Director of Visions Art Museum, presented me with a bouquet when she introduced me and announced the "reveal" of the gallery sign.  I didn't take a picture - duh!  This picture from Nancy Ota.

 

 
I did put lipstick on, but forgot to powder my nose or straighten my scarf.  I love the wings sticking out from behind my hat!  Photo by Karen Rips.
I hope you will be able to visit the Museum sometime before April 22nd to see the three current exhibits: the twelve inch quilts from TCQC;  "Art & Science", the very nice exhibit from SAQA; and the wonderful humorous challenge quilts from members of Canyon Quilters Guild showing their interpretation of Beatles songs. 
 Posted by Picasa

30 comments:

Kirsty said...

Congratulations, Del, what a wonderful (and appropriate) honour for you!
Kirsten Duncan (twelve by twelve)

Brenda said...

What a fabulous collection! Thank you for the report and congratulations on the gallery name change in your honour.

Jamie Fingal said...

Congratulations Del! What an inspiration you are to people to start collecting art work that they love. I look forward to driving down and seeing all of the exhibits at VAM!

Michele Bilyeu said...

An amazing collection and an honor well earned, and deserved, for such beloved and wonderful lady. Never doubt for a heartbeat that you have survived life's challenges to be exactly where you are, today! Heart filled congratulations in all ways!!!

Susan Turney said...

Congratulations, Del! I'm sure the gallery was thrilled to be able to show parts of your wonderful collection! I hope people send you more photos that you can share.

Suzanne Kistler said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful experience! Thank you for your generosity - we all benefit. :)

Gerrie said...

You look fabulous in the photo with the hat wings! How exciting for you to have this well deserved honor. I am so thrilled to be part of this exhibit. Thank you for all you do for the art of quilting.

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Congratulations, Del!!! This is an honor that is well-deserved, and I am thrilled to call you my friend.

Terry Grant said...

Wonderful! The wall of 12" quilts looks great and so do you. You continue to amaze me with your commitment to art quilts and your warm support of quilt artists. Wish I could have been there.

Dolores said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Del, fantastic and well deserved. XX

Kristin L said...

Congratulations! What an honor. It is so wonderful to see so many quilts from your collection all in one place. It looks like it was a super celebration, and even from here, over the internet, I got a big kick looking at the photos and picking out the pieces I recognize and love!

Dyanne Cox said...

Congratulations Del! They did you a very special honor and you justly deserve it

Loretta said...

Congratulations Del! A special honor for a very special woman and her many contributions to our world of quilting. Thank you.

Sue Dennis said...

I'd also like to add my congratulations to you for your ongoing support for our art form. Fabulous to be recognised with the naming of the gallery Del!
Your 12 " collection looks amazing in massed form.

Patty ♣ said...

I am sorry that I had to miss this! Congratulations, you look wonderful, and so does the exhibit !!! I will have to see this!

Beverly said...

Congratulations, Del, it looks like a fabulous evening. I wish I was close enough to visit the museum, the art quilt world is so lucky to have you!

Martha Ginn said...

Congratulations! And thank you for accumulating these beautiful pieces of art for others to enjoy, and for affirming artists by selecting their work. I think you are deserving of the angel wings behind your hat!
Martha Ginn

Sue in Mendocino said...

Wonderful Del. Thanks for all you do. Must get to the show.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Del, I read your blog everyday. What an honor to be in your collection.

Nanette Fleischman

Jeanne Marklin said...

Thank you for donating to the museum and making a real difference in the recognition of Art quilts! The wall of 12" work could be used for a lecture on design principles.

Ruth said...

What an amazing and well deserved honor! The exhibit and YOU look great. I wish I could have been there to help you celebrate.

Jean M. Judd said...

Congratulations, Del! The display looks wonderful and you are just glowing. A most deserved honor indeed.

It was a pleasure to also meet you in person in Denver at the SAQA conference in 2011. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Artists and SAQA appreciate your support of all of our endeavors.

Continued Success and happy hunting for that next great textile artwork!

Unknown said...

How wonderful, Del! You couldn't deserve it more! I'm so glad you had a good time!

Lisa Q.

Martha Sielman said...

Congratulations, Del - how absolutely wonderful!

Roniquilts2 said...

What a wonderful way to honor you! Congratulations, Del. Continued success for you!

Anne Copeland said...

Del, You are an amazing inspiration to all of us. And looking at your photo, I have to say that I have never seen you looking more truly beautiful. I believe your soul is shining through for certain. What a wonderful contribution you have made to the art quilt world. Thank you always for being you! Peace and many blessings, Annie

Charlotte Bird said...

Del
Thank you for all you are doing for VAM! I'm sorry I missed your naming party. I thought about you on Friday night...-14 in Fairbanks AK and knew it was a great party. I love the pictures. You look wonderful and the little quilts are a stunning backdrop for your smile. with much love, Charlotte

Rayna said...

You look beautiful! Will catch up with you by email.

aileyn Ecob said...

Congratulations on this lovely honor! You deserve it for all you have done to promote art quilting. Love to see all the little quilts on one wall! Aileyn Ecob

Meggie said...

Thankyou for sharing. Lovely quilts and lovely photos of you in each one.