Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Food - yet again. 02-19-13

I think that whenever I go to San Diego there will be food images on this blog!  The ladies I know down there have identified great places to eat and, of course, I want to try them all. 


One evening we went to The Brigantine, known for fish dishes.  The fish dishes were good, but not outstanding - not picture worthy.  But they are also known for their cheesecake which comes as a huge serving and it was fabulous!  Might be a place to go just for dessert.  Beth cut it in half and then forced me to take the larger half - I had to take half of it in a to-go box and ate it the next day.  M-m-m-m. 
 

Saturday night we went back to Ikiru, the lovely little sushi place about two blocks from VAM and had a wonderful dinner.  They serve great sushi rolls and teriyaki and tempura and noodle dishes and...  well just good food.  I have however become shameless in my quest for good food images and actually asked the couple sitting next to us at the sushi bar if I could photograph one of their dishes.  You see it above - I believe this is called "pink" on the menu.   For unknown reasons I can't post the other pictures, but I'll keep trying.

On Sunday at VAM I gave a tour to a group of art quilters who had arranged it in advance.  Afterward they took me to lunch at what was called the Tin Fish, but has been replaced by Roseville Cozinha,under the same ownership.  The interior of the place is basically the same, but there is a much shorter menu.  The service was good, but those who ordered the beet salad were surprised to find only four small squares of beets in a pile of arugula - we asked for a "remake" and the salads returned with a few more beets, but basically it was an arugula salad garnished with a sprinkling of beets.  Not your best bet.
 

Four of us ordered the yellowtail (tuna) sandwich which was delicious.  It came with sliced raw mushroom and a pile of greens including this one I have never seen before.  One of the ladies identified it as tatsoi.  I looked it up online and found it is  also called spinach mustard , spoon mustard , or rosette bok choy , is an Asian variety of Brassica rapa grown for greens.

The flip side is this lovely grey-green color.  To me it tastes spicy, somewhat like wild mustard greens.
 

Here is the cut side of the yellowtail sandwich on chibatta bread.  Yellowtail on the bottom, lettuce, tomato, slightly sauteed thin-sliced onions and a light sauce - like thin mayonnaise.
I would certainly order it again..  and again....!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

It is always fun to "follow" you at restaurants, Del, and see what you are sampling. The cheesecake looks to die for.

Loretta said...

Mouthwatering!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Oh, my! That leaf is very beautiful and the food all looks delicious.