Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lunch at Bowers Museum 02-23-13

Have I written enough about food lately?  I didn't go to San Diego this time, instead some of the ladies I know there came up to Santa Ana on a bus to visit Bowers Museum.   Two current exhibits of interest are one on Maurice Sendak and one on costumes in the cinema.   I didn't do the exhibits, just the gift shop and lunch.


 

Choosing from the menu was difficult, but a "compressed" salad sounded interesting.  They stuff everything into a mold and press it tight, then the mold is upended and a tower is created.  It was very, very good, but too much for me to eat, I picked out all the yummy bits and left the rest.
Compressed Manchego Salad - Baby arugula, shaved Manchego cheese, Fuji apples, Medjool dates, caramelized walnuts, balsamic syrup, pistachio vinaigrette.

Several of the ladies had the salmon salad with avocado.
Grilled Salmon Cobb Salad - Applewood bacon, chopped egg, avocado, blue cheese, tomatoes, lemon thyme vinaigrette

Rosie sitting across from me ordered the "Wild Things Hamburger" - a rename from:
Tangata Burger - Hand ground sirloin, Vermont white cheddar, smoked bacon, roasted tomato, baby arugula, crispy shallots, and herb aioli served with house made Kennebec garlic fries

An additional picture:
Andrea took this picture at the Bowers lunch.
Roasted Red Beet Carpaccio Yellow frisee, candied hazelnuts, Bermuda Triangle goat cheese, toasted ciabatta and honey mustard vinaigrette

 The restaurant name is Tangata. 
#   #   #

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my....I would have to choose between the compressed salad and the salmon cobb...and it wouldn't be easy.

And Del, I would be hard pressed to determine which were the yummy bits in your salad! It all looks and sounds good.

Del said...

The "yummy bits" were the shaved Manchego cheese, Fuji apples (grated) , Medjool dates, and caramelized walnuts. The dressing was very tasty and the arugala fresh and tender. I had a hard time choosing between this and the salmon cobb - I'm such a salmon fan.

Patty ♣ said...

"Wild Things" in honor of Maurice Sendak. That exhibit sounded interesting to me. The food looks very nice and yummy!!!!

Quiltedtime said...

I am waiting for dinner to finish cooking while I read and write comments on blogs. This is making me terribly hungry. The avocado and salmon would be my choice.