Sunday, February 17, 2013

Small quilt by Terry Grant on my blog 02-17-13

This quilt was purchased because the Oregon Junco was one of the first birds I learned as a child.  I have seen them many time over the years, especially during the winter in San Juan Bautista, CA, when I visit my friends Mary and Joe.  But I haven't seen them in falling snow for probably 65 years!  So, it is a nostalgic quilt.  Of course, Terry's wonderful technique leaving the black underlining to create a line all around the motifs makes such stunning images - how could I resist.   For about the last month this little quilt has hung on my family room wall with six other bird image quilts in TCQC. 



"Oregon Junco"  Terry Grant - Beaverton, OR  2007  9" x 9"
Commercial cotton fabrics, cotton embroidery floss, cotton batting.
Machine applique, hand quilted with "snowflakes".
 

Here you can clearly see the working details of Terry's applique.
 
 
I believe she has used a tiny dab of paint on the beak and the eye.
 
 
Not quite an adequate label as there is no contact information.  When she made this piece she did live in Portland, but then moved to Beaverton. 
 

The back is lined so none of the stitching is showing.
 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Nice to see this guy again. I know I don't always do a great job of labeling, but I figure the contact info changes. Anyway, you know where to find me!

Your night owl, insomniac pal--

Quiltedtime said...

The quilted snowflakes are quite effective.

Martha Ginn said...

Lovely little winter bird quilt. How do you hang it? I can't see a sleeve although it may have one.
Martha Ginn