Saturday, June 15, 2013

VAM - Fashion Exhibit Reception 06-15-13

I drove to San Diego this morning and am staying overnight at Homewood Suites.  It took me almost three hours to make the two hour drive - the traffic was horrendous, both south and north , on I-5.  May have been a combination of factors - Father's Day, graduations, weddings, County Fair at Del Mar.  I'll never know the reason, but I did not see any accidents or construction.  One of the mysteries of SCalifornia traffic.
  
 This evening three new exhibits opened at Visions Art Museum in San Diego.  In the main gallery is "Second Time Around : Fashion Recycled" showing new garments made from discarded garments.  In the small gallery is " Supporting Roles: Fiber & Photography" an exhibit of works combining quilt art and photographic art.  And in the foyer gallery there are 28 12"x12" quilts by members "Tops & Bottoms".  All are worth a visit to the Museum - check the website for more information: www.visionsartmuseum.org       



Before I even drove out of my neighborhood I spotted this unicyclist pedaling along on the sidewalk past the golf course.  Isn't he amazing?  That huge pack on his back must make balancing even more challenging.
 

I saw this lady at the bakery/restaurant catty-corner from the museum.  She has made her shoes into "wedgies" by merely breaking down the heels.  But what really caught my eye is the decoration she chose to wear on her shorts.
 

As I said yesterday my aversion to glitter in the daytime has grown less with the years.  But this is just beyond my comprehension.  Why?

The fashions in the exhibit are generally amazing.  How do the designers think of these things?   Osbaldo has shown work in previous fashion exhibits and I think he does just awesome fashions. 
 

This is the professional photograph with the garment worn by a professional model.
 

And here is Osbaldo with his creation on a manikin in the exhibit.  From this angle it looks like a big white fish with arms and legs!   Notice that Osbaldo is wearing a sweater made from "leftover" socks!   
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Dolores said...

The bling on the shorts is a mystery!!! Looks like it caught on her shorts and she doesn't know it. Better than her backside!!! XX

June said...

No one will ever accuse you of being conservative or traditional in your joy of just plain looking! I actually thought the big bling on the shorts was funny and fun, even if weird. But then, that's me. The exhibit dress was even funnier and a bit more fun, although somehow I like the streetness of the bling better than the posed-ness of the exhibited dress. On the model it partook of more streetness -- a good direction:-)

Thanks for sharing.

June said...

Oh, and the last comment came from someone who just bought a pair of baby blue mary janes (suede)-- the latest in her fashion statement of black top, blue jeans, black socks and (ordinarily) running shoes!

mehitabel said...

Now I need to plan a trip to San Diego to see that exhibit! I hope I'll have better luck on the freeway than you did!