Thursday, July 24, 2014

Road Trip - Indiana Omaha to Grand Island, NE 07-24-14

I drove only about 200 miles today, but had a fun day instead.  I visited the American Quilt Study Center/Museum in Lincoln, NE.  And also visited two quilt shops in connection with Row by Row.   My eyes are extra tired tonight, so I will only post a few pictures and hope I can post more in the morning.  The first pictures are of the $2.50/a yard fabric I bought on Tuesday at Quilters Destination in Arlington Heights, IL.  Not very bright, I suppose it could be over-dyed if needed, but I will probably just use it, as is, for a backing.  It is good quality fabric, it just didn't appeal to the customers who came into this shop.


The yellow area with the cross hatches is about six inches at the widest point.
The stripe with the green "lettering" is about three inches wide.
 
I don't know how many years it has been since I saw a rotary dial phone like this.
Notice it has a modern connector at the wall.
 
 
It was part of this "vignette" at one of the motels I stayed in - it was located in the area that once was  called the "elevator lobby". 
 
Due to trees, buildings and signs this is the best image I was able to take of the Quilt Study Center/Museum at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln.  The parking lot sign in the foreground can't be removed - at least I can't remove it.  There is construction going on behind the pink section of the building and I was told it will be more gallery space, so people will be able to see even more quilts at each visit.  They don't object to photos, just flash cameras, I'll post some quilt pictures later.
 
 This is the sculpture in front of the building. In the picture above it is just to the left of the parking lot sign.  It casts interesting shadows.
 

This house is in York, NE, where I stopped at a quilt shop.  What caught my eye is leaning against the very large elm tree on the right.

Another Barn Star and a flag that appears to be made from a shipping flat. 
 
Gotta get to bed.  Tomorrow I will have to make the decision to go home through Denver and over the mountains, or go down I-15 through Salt Lake City, Utah,  Las Vegas and Barstow.   Both have pros and cons.
#   #   #


2 comments:

Dolores said...

The fabric looks like Ruth would use it in quilt of hers and now you will :)

Rebecca said...

I was going to comment on the "stars" post (but had trouble) that one of the houses was like a game: how many stars can you see?

It has heated up here in California, if that affects your route...probably too late.