Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Road Trip - Indiana Up to Wisconsin 07-21-14

It was a long day with lots of problems.  When I left Logansport, IN, I immediately hit a detour onto narrow country roads with no shoulder to speak of.  No where to go if a problem developed
 
I followed this truck for what seemed like days.  And then the truck stopped; I couldn't see around it, so I just had to wait until it moved on.  

It was stopped for a road repair that must surely have been an emergency.  Nobody would schedule it on a detour from a road with such high truck traffic.  The guy in the yellow shirt is the "flagman" sans flag.

These big trucks were in a hurry - both directions.

You can see how far ahead of me the truck is in less than a mile.  There are also lots of motor homes on the road, glad I'm not driving one of them on this country byway.
 
I stopped in Crown Point, IN, to visit one of the Row by Row shops, a tiny store with mostly a selection of traditional fabrics.  They did have fat quarters on sale for $1/each, so I added a few to my fat quarter box.  This cute quilt was hanging in the restroom.
 
I only took eight pictures all day because as soon as I got back on the Interstate there was heavy traffic, construction, and, on I-294 that bypasses downtown Chicago, many toll booths.  The first toll was $1.50, but about 25 miles further on there was another toll booth.  I told the lady I had just paid a toll and she replied that if I was going to Wisconsin I would pay a toll about every 20 - 25 miles.  She was right:  another $1.50, $1.80, $2.25, $2.80!!!  Such a nuisance.  I got off at the Kenosha, WI, exit, checked into a hotel, and went to meet Kay Sorenson, who lives about ten miles from the exit ramp.  We had never met before, but we read each other's blogs.  We had dinner at a nearby ancient pub and then she showed me her studio, which is the top floor of her house.  Such a treasure box, with lovely antique oak thread cabinets and tables.  It is awash it her colorful finished and 
in-progress quilts.  But by this time I was on my last leg and had to get back to my motel.  I actually drove on the unfamiliar highway in the dark, something I told you I would never do.  But I had been over it once before and there was much less traffic at 9pm and the construction workers had gone home.  Thank heaven! 
 
So, now I am ready for the road again.  Back down I-94 and I-294.  I wish I could avoid it, but it is the most logical way to go south to I-80 westbound.  Hope to stop at the Quilt Study Center in Lincoln, NE.
#   #   #