Saturday, October 18, 2014

Last day of class and home in Placentia 10-18-14

I  completely ran out of steam last evening (Friday).  After going out to dinner with Elizabeth Busch and some of the students from class (at El Agave in Old Town San Diego), I returned to the hotel and fell into bed.  Is this enough warning for me to lose some pounds and get some exercise?  I have signed up for the Elizabeth Busch class at Empty Spools/Asilomar in March 2015 - I'll have to work hard to get in better shape.  It is only five months away!
 
 
This picture was soon after I started working on my first composition.  The largest piece, with the yellow bottom stripe, was cut from one of the much larger pieces of fabric that I painted.   The orange piece on the left is from Tricia Charity who sat at the table behind me.  The green and black stripes were in someone's trash can!  I'm still a "dumpster diver" at heart.

Pieces cut from Goodwill rayon shirt added at top right and between green stripe and the largest piece.  And a dyed black and white print across bottom.

It is all too busy - there is no room to "breath".
 

I tried a different patterned fabric on the right - too much.  And I covered some of the prints in the black rayon fabric down the middle.
 
 
Right side strip eliminated and a plain black strip added to left.  Also the orange and black pieces on the left are narrower.  One of the green stripes is extended across to the right edge.  This is the final iteration of this piece.  The paper bird will go on the label on the back.
 
I drove home from San Diego today after some time at VAM to put myself on the docent schedule for the Visions show.  A few stops to deliver some things to friends along I-5 and finally home.  I unloaded most of the car, but had to leave the two heavy boxes of fabric until tomorrow!  See what I mean about getting into shape? 
#   #   #

3 comments:

Dolores said...

Geez, Del, yours is a great piece. Not too busy at all even with the stripes on the right side. Good job!!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I love seeing the different variations.

Loretta said...

A week of fun, fun, fun....and more to come at home to explore further compositions and perhaps using the paint before it dries hard!! A day of rest and back to it!!!! Your pieces are providing wonderful inspiration for us/me!