Sunday, October 19, 2014

More projects from Elizabeth Busch class 10-19-14

In Elizabeth Busch's class we worked on several projects.  She advises to remove everything from the design wall and work on one project at a time.  This is very difficult for me as I always have at least two things going at once.  Sometimes one catches "fire" and I remove the others to focus on just one.  While I was working on the (still nameless) project #1, I also had these three other possibilities up on the design board.
 
The white on the top (and primary) fabric is from chalk pastel which one applies to the canvas after wetting it slightly.  The chalk sets up and becomes permanent.  The fabric on the bottom is a printed "hand dyed" that I brought from home.  It is still a possibility.

This pinky painted piece was retrieved from the trash.  I like the piece, but it doesn't work with this quilt project.

The middle piece is my main piece done with the Pro-Chem fiber paints with the yellow stripes added with the chalk pastels.  Both end pieces are also painted and cut from larger "paintings".   The solid green is a commercial fabric, but to me it feels a little too wimpy for this project.

The black on grey is a mono print I did when I was cleaning up the paints and the black on the bottom is also painted with some texture added with a serrated scraper. 
 
All of these are very early in the design process and may end up as something else entirely.  That is the joy of designing on a wall and standing back to get the effect  of what I am doing.  If I don't have the painted fabric I need, I can paint more as I have the residue of the paint in the little cups, or I could trot over to Blick's in Fullerton for some pigments.  OR I can go through my fabric library (I don't have a "stash") for just the right fabric.
 
By-the-way, Elizabeth Busch is teaching at Empty Spools/Asilomar in March 2015 http://www.emptyspoolsseminars.com/ and also in September 2015 at Pacific Northwest Art Center in Coupeville, WA, https://pacificnorthwestartschool.org/
 .  She also has other teaching gigs, check her website: www.elizabethbusch.com
 
#   #   # 

No comments: