Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Challenge quilts at Canyon Quilters 11-18-14

Here are all of the challenge quilts from last evening's meeting of Canyon Quilters.  There were four hanging racks with black drapes to which the quilts were pinned.  I hope you can enlarge and read the names of the makers.  I can't tell if that is possible until I finish the blog post and can try it myself.

The Challenge was "My Secret Garden"  and the size was limited to no more than 100" perimeter - so they came in many sizes.  There was some discussion about the pros and cons of quilts the same size and quilts limited to a perimeter, so that they were all different.  No conclusion.  But I like the varied sizes.  





The bidding sheets are out for the silent auction.  Starting bid ranged from $100 to $125.



For size comparison my quilt, second from left, 
is 14" wide and 11" long. 


And here are quilts that I like: 



"My Secret Water Garden"  Deb Mackay
The top section is one of her spectacular marbled pieces.  The flowers are Kaffe's Gloxinia.  


"3-D Garden"  Terry Seaberg
with folded flowers and appliqued leaves and stems. 

"Springtime"  Marty Gigler.  Surely made in or after a class with Laura Wasilowski.  It is beautifully done and has a great composition.   
 

"I Love to Bee in my Garden"  Carol Neely
This is done in the style of Barbara McKie and is nicely quilted.  

"Bee Happy"  Kay Laboda
Gorgeous quilt and awesome quilting.   This quilt won the viewer's choice award. 

"Poppies Worthy of Sorella"  Judy Warren-Tippets
These are Matilija poppies with blossoms about 6" in diameter.  Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida was an early 20th Century painter - an exhibit of his work was in San Diego in July and August.  
 


 And here, again, is my humble offering. I remembered the fabric having larger buildings and was surprised when I dug it out of my fabric library and found that the buildings were only 10 to 12 inches tall.  I had to size the garden to go a little better with the building size, but made the the flowers and leaves large enough to show the fecundity and how they take up too much space to be contained in a "secret" garden.     

#   #   #   


1 comment:

Loretta said...

Your little quilt is very gentle with a secret garden in the city!!! Thank you for sharing. More especially, I love to see you quilting! Take care.