Monday, May 18, 2015

New Quilt from SAQA Fiberlandia auction 05-17-15

The silent auction at the SAQA Fiberlandia was great fun and I was there to "bid 'em up"; adding some treasures to TCQC.   I was the successful bidder for 12 quilts, although I bid on about 22 different pieces.   There was a wonderful selection of about 124 6"x8"quilts donated by SAQA members, whether or not they attended the conference.  At the banquet the little quilts, matted and propped on little easels were arrayed on tables along each side of the room with a nice long bidding sheet for each.  The bidding was fierce and the total income was over $14,000. 
 
"Fallen 1" Susan Szajer - Santa Fe, NM  6"W x 8"L
Cotton fabric hand painted by the artist, cut and snipped commercial cotton, free-motion machine quilted.
Is this fun, or what?  I think this is a wonderfully original way of working and some of her pieces are simply spectacular.

The feathers are made of painted cotton, they are cut to shape and applied by stitching down the center before the clipping is done.

Susan selects fabrics with dense weave, such as the commercial batiks, and sometimes uses two layers of fabric for the feathers to create the stiffness she wants.
  
Nice label giving a contact for her, in case the buyer wants to see more of her work.
#   #   #

4 comments:

deb-of-pixeladies said...

I really liked this quilt, too, Del. I'm glad it found such a good home!

Anonymous said...

Del, Thank you for purchasing and featuring my quilt on your blog. I can't wait to see the rest of your collection. Sue

Carol said...

Del, I'd love to see this one.

Maggi said...

I particularly liked this one too.