Friday, August 28, 2015

Life and Figs 08-28-15

I still have little KoKo, he goes home tomorrow.  Yesterday was a tour de force for both of us.  I needed to do a written drivers test and couldn't get an appointment in time at the local DMV.  Four years ago I had the same problem, but was driving up to the Monterey area a few days before my birthday, so I made an appointment at the Goleta DMV (just north of Santa Barbara).  That worked out okay, so this time I made an appointment at Bellflower so I could leave little KoKo with Sherry, Corky's mommy in Long Beach.  She takes care of a dog now and then, I suppose it satisfies something in her as Corky (and now KoKo) did for me. 

When I started the car to leave it made a terrible noise, so I drove it around the block to see if it drove okay and it did.  We were off to Long Beach with a lesser noise, but something that obviously needed to be taken care of.  However, I hadn't planned that into my day.  I left KoKo with Sherry and gave her three toys to toss for him.  The drive to DMV and the testing took about an hour and half, it seemed to include an inordinate amount of sitting and waiting for my number to be called.  It was moderately air conditioned, but about 150 bodies give off quite a bit of heat - whew.  I took the test and missed one question which is bugging me because I think I had the right answer, but they didn't and were too busy to explain.   I did the eye test and had my picture taken, it can't possibly be as bad as the last one.  They won't let me wear my hat, even though I tell them nobody recognizes me without it.

Back to Sherry's where I hauled the SAQA Traveling Trunk into the house and went through all the samples, there are 61 in this trunk.  I'll  present them to my art quilt group in SDiego on Sunday and then ship them off to their next destination on Monday.  More on this after the  Sunday meeting.

Sherry took KoKo for a long walk and met some other dogs who wanted to play - KoKo really got a workout and has not been so demanding today.  It was cooler in Long Beach than it has been here.  Today it was 101F in Placentia with a humidity of 22%.  Way too hot for Auntie Del to go for a walk.  So, I'm glad KoKo had a tremendous walk last evening.  We have been out in the backyard half a dozen times today.  Don't want any accidents!

This morning I was at Castner's, the auto repair place, when it opened at 7:30am.  They hoped they could replace the failed part of my power steering before they close today, but here it is 4:20pm and they haven't called to say it is ready.  If not I will rent a car for the weekend, but I would rather be driving my own vehicle. 




I love figs and they have such a short season that I am never satisfied.  Trader Joe's is selling "Tiger Figs" which I had never heard of.  They are quite small, like ping pong balls, but very sweet. Not as sweet as the wonderful honey figs they grow in South Carolina, but a good second place.  Of course, one needs to eat them pretty quickly, so I am having my fill of figs.  If they still have them when I go next week, I will get another box.  Maybe two!
#   #   #

3 comments:

Dolores said...

You had me smiling thru this busy day of yours!! Your stamina is impressive :)

Loretta said...

I love to hear about your adventures! They seem to much, much different from mine. It's nice to have variety in my life! Take care and stay well.

linda said...

mmmm figs. Another thing I miss about Europe, but I'll check our local Wegmans where I've found green peas in the pod, witloof (=Belgian endive), cave-ripened soft cheeses, and a lot of other things I can't find anywhere else. The bread there and at Whole Foods is approaching my Euro standards too. If I find the figs, I'll have to dip into my local creamery's heavy cream and spoil myself (or some of Wegmans crème fraîche. I think I need lunch . Thanks, Del, for the tempting fig photos and good luck with your car woes.