Saturday, August 29, 2015

In San Diego tonight. 08-29-15

It has been one of those weeks when anything that could go wrong, went wrong!

Yesterday the garage replaced my power steering "pump" - I think that is what he said - and finished at 4:45pm.  Too late for the driver to pick me up  and get me back to the facility by five.  So the sweet lady who" womans" the office said she would come after five when she got off work and take me back to pick up my car.   I owe her big time, but don't know how to repay her  generosity.  Thanks to her I am driving my own car instead of a rental. 

This morning I threw some shirts in the washer (a front loader) in plenty of time to have them washed and dried to bring with me on this trip.   When I went to get them out of the washer I saw that the light was off, indicating the cycles were all finished,  I just opened the door as I thought it wouldn't open if there were water inside.  I didn't look through the window to see if they were done.  Out came a tank full of water and the clothes.  The water flooded through the garage and out the door, down the driveway.  Everything was wet, including both pair of shoes - the ones I was wearing and those I was going to wear to SDiego.    What to do?  By now it was almost noon and I had no time to hunt up a laundromat.  So I called my friend Carol, who had gone off to a baby shower, but Dick was home and I asked him if I could use his laundry facilities, explaining my problem.    When I got to their house, just a few blocks away, I asked him if he knew how to do laundry and he said yes.  I asked him if he would run the clothes on the spin cycle and then dry them in the dryer and I would come back to pick them up.   I went home and finished packing and getting KoKo's things packed up.  Everything in the car, including KoKo, I went back to Dick's "Laundry Service" and he had them all ready on the hangers and he had IRONED them!  I never iron them, just pull them hot from the dryer and put them on hangers.   Is he some great guy, or what?  Another generous person to whom I owe my gratitude.   I delivered KoKo to Nancy's son in Tustin (Nancy is flying in tonight) and hit the road.  It took three hours to get to my motel, but I wasn't stressed because I knew it would be very crowded and slow going.  My average speed for the 100 miles was 35 mph.

I'm settled in and ready for the ladies in my art quilt group at 10am.  It will be a great meeting with the 61 samples in the SAQA traveling trunk to look at and whatever show & tell the members bring.  Then out to lunch at a nearby Greek restaurant and then I have the rest of the day and evening to relax.  I'll probably go look at the Visions Art Museum exhibits again.  I do enjoy seeing quilts from TCQC on display there.  Then Monday morning I will drive home and have one day of rest before I will need to gear up again.  Where did the summer go? 

When the traffic was stopped we could see 10 or so sailboats off the coast at Oceanside - they are out there somewhere on the blue Pacific. 

Further south the highway passes sand flats that to out to the ocean with long bridges for Pacific Coast Highway.  When there are high tides the water can come up in here, but I have never seen it.
#   #   #






4 comments:

Dolores said...

Oh my goodness, what a day!!

Loretta said...

True to form...Del has another extraordinary adventurous day! Pleased to know you got on the road, reached your destination and are now comfortable and sharing your wonderful collection!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Some day you'll look back at the washer gusher and laugh! Glad everything turned out well in the end.

Unknown said...

Thank you Del...the SAQA pieces were wonderful and you were so nice to share your cake. DH thanks you too. (Big chocolate smile on that man's face right now.) Have a good night and safe trip home on Monday.
Sally