Sunday, August 16, 2015

Ruth McDowell Gilia quilt 08-16-15

This quilt became part of the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection in 2011, but I haven't featured it on my blog previously.  I don't know why not.  But I have been going through the list and finding any number of quilts that I haven't blogged about. 
 
Gilia is a tiny flower that Ruth has greatly enlarged to make this quilt.  I love the myriad of light colored fabrics she has used in the background, representing, perhaps, all of the low undergrowth and debris on the forest floor.  It is a restful quilt which I hang when the more strident quilts overwhelm me.   
 
 
"Gilia" Ruth B. McDowell - Colrain, MA  2011 22.5"W x 38.5"L
Machine Pieced, Hand embellishment, Machine quilted.
 
 Stacks of little circles of fabric sewn through middle and attached.
 
 
Background in upper left corner.
 
Close-up of top flower.
 
Label with the important information included.
 
Back of quilt is a drapery weight fabric which helps quilt lay flat on wall.
#   #   #

1 comment:

sonja said...

thank you for posting Ruth's quilt. i admire her work muchly!