Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Modern Quilting 03-01-16

I drove down to SDiego this afternoon to have dinner with the art quilt group and attend a guild that had a speaker about modern quilting.  I didn't get much out of it, she was not a good speaker and her visuals were poor.  What I learned is that there are no rules (except for 1/4"seams).  Some quilts are based on traditional patterns, some on spontaneous piecing, some are planned out by the maker, some come from actual patterns in books.  I don't think there are many common characteristics.  Maybe lots of open background, no boarders, solid color fabrics; but those don't always apply.  One of the group brought half a dozen books about modern quilting and shared them with the art quilt  group.  I found the pictures covered a wide spectrum of design, most had nothing in common except perhaps a lot of background.  It gives space for dense quilting which seems to be another characteristic of what is referred to as "Modern Quilting". 

I drove home after the meeting and arrived in my garage at 10:34pm - exactly an hour and a half after leaving the meeting place.  Little traffic, construction only lowered the lanes to two, and I was able to "fly" home.  Time for bed. 
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Thanks so much for your observations of the 'modern quilt'! I agree with your observations, but thought I was being too persnickety with my thinking when after taking a "modern quilt" workshop and found nothing really new for me. I usually bent the rules for the traditional quilts I made, so I never really understood the term modern quilt! They are my old and traditional way of quilting! Are you going to cut into your new fabric library today??? Perhaps just a small piece! Enjoy!