Friday, June 24, 2016

Another Ruth McDowell quilt 06-24-16L

 
The Vermont Quilt Festival is underway and I hear that Ruth McDowell's special "lifetime" exhibit is stupendous.  As if it would be anything else.  She is an outstanding artist and I am pleased to have so many of her quilts in TCQC.  This is one of fourteen quilts on loan for the exhibit in Vermont.
 
 
"Fort Morrison Jerseys"  Ruth B. McDowell  2003 65,5"W x 46"
Cotton fabric, hand-dyed cotton fabrics, cotton batting and thread
Machine pieced and quilted.
 
I posted this quilt 10-04-09.  You can read about it here:
#   #   #


3 comments:

kay said...

The exhibit is outstanding! I've been a huge fan of her work for years, but to be able to see it up close and study her construction and fabric choices takes it to a whole new level. And being led through the exhibit by Ruth herself is the icing on the cake!

Loretta said...

Kay, I'm excited for you and to be able to listen to Ruth in addition, truly icing on the cake!
I saw Mt. Morrison Jersey's in their field! Cute critters and Ruth's quilt shows them at their best!

Marilyn said...

I did not have time to hear Ruth speak, but this is my favorite quilt of hers. It was so wonderful to see it "in person". I miss Vermont Jerseys as a part of our landscape. There are only a couple Jersey farms now all the rest are "generic" cows. We started having Holsteins about the time the Feds started having black and white canned goods in the food assistance program. Holsteins may give more milk, but they lack the personality and gentle demeanor of Jerseys and Guernseys in my view. And How now brown cow doesn't fit either. :-)