Sunday, July 23, 2017

From TCQC a Deborah Lacativa quilt from 2009

Don't know why Blogger is giving me background color, but there it is.  I have copied this post from Feb  23, 2009, when I originally posted it.  For further description - the black oval is appliqued and the hands are appliqued over it.  The strings of beads with the brass bells hanging down from the cuff of the hands are dangling, so they have to be laid out carefully when storing.  One of the shells (top right) was broken when I took it to a program I did, the remains are held on by the beads sewn into each hole of the shell.  I still love this quilt and hang it often in my house.  I also have an affinity for finding a parking spot, so it resonates with me. 
"Parking Magik" Deborah Lacativa 2003 22" square
This original design refers to Deborah's minor skill that always nets her a choice parking spot, no matter how crowded or busy the parking lot. The foundation is a printed cotton bandanna with appliques of original digital images printed on PDF with BJS.[bubble jet set]
Embellished with glass beads...


tiny brass bells...

... and shells.
This quilt is so interesting and different than anything I have seen elsewhere. The use of the bandanna (India? Africa?) works very well and the shells, bells and beading are appropriate for this piece.
I purchased this one after I saw it in "My World in Black and White", an exhibit organized by Ann Copeland and her Fiberarts Connection of SCalifornia. And it isn't the only one I purchased from that very good exhibit! This quilt is very different than the work Deborah is doing now and I am pleased to have one of her early works in the Collection. I know that one of the influences that sent Deborah in a different direction was an Elizabeth Barton workshop. And, as she says, she hasn't looked back.
I also purchased it before I discovered the difficulty I have with storing quilts with lots of embellishments - especially dangling things. Along with a few other delicate pieces it is stored in a large flat acid free box for which I still haven't found a good spot in my house.

2 comments:

Loretta said...

An exquisite quilt. The design, materials and talent of artist are very apparent. Thank you for sharing.
I haven't been doing any quilting for the past many months. I am beginning to 'taste' the need to do a little something. I haven't done any dying yet, but with the weather so sunny and hot, I can work in the yard and the pieces will dry quickly. I'm just about ready to start! Thank you for the inspiration.

Deb Lacativa said...

Thank you so much for posting this memory. You and this piece have a special place in my artist's heart. My first patron purchased the first piece that ever went "on tour". I still recall the shock of learning it wouldn't be coming home. I'll be visiting it's sister quilt "Healing Hands" in NY next month.