Sunday, October 22, 2017

Re-visiting an Elizabeth Barton quilt 10-22-17

I posted this quilt previously on 03-22-09.


"Gathering Storm" Elizabeth Barton 2006 44"W x 26.5"L
Elizabeth was working on this quilt in August 2006 while she was Artist in Residence at the Empty Spools Seminar at Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, CA. By the end of the session I knew it needed to be in the TCQC. Elizabeth dyes/screens/creates all the fabric in her quilts; and I particularly love her shibori and the way she uses it in her quilts. The towns and buildings she creates are inspired by her native York, England, which she still visits and still photographs. I posted her quilt "Chimney Pots" in January 2009 and there are still two more of her quilts in the Collection.
Here is a detail showing both her hand quilting and machine quilting. She likes to use shiny threads to add a little sparkle and she also uses a variety of fabrics including silk chiffon and sateen.
You can see Elizabeth's quilts and read her Bio on her website:
She also has an exceptional blog:
 
#   #   #
 

1 comment:

Loretta said...

I love Elizabeth's work very much. Thank you. I've been doing some dyeing lately but seldom use any of that fabric in anything I do. Seeing how Elizabeth uses her dyed pieces give me a different view of how I might use mine. At least I'm going to try. Once again, cutting into a piece that I think is special is very hard to do! Thank you Del.