Friday, July 13, 2018

Friday Food 07-13-18

There isn't much "local" food available when traveling.  Yes, there are themed restaurants that serve what passes for local, but the true local, small neighborhood restaurants are not very accessible to travelers.  Unless one has local contacts - that is the trick.   But I do occasionally find different restaurants especially chains that are only in certain parts of the country.  Like "In N' Out Burger" which is a SCalifornia fast food place that has expanded a bit into some adjoining states. 

In June of 2012 I was in Kalispell, Montana, and my traveling companion was familiar with the HuHot restaurants that serve a variation on, I guess, Mongolian Bar-B-Q.  I haven't seen a HuHot anywhere in the West, but I don't visit a lot of towns looking for places to eat.  

They give complete instructions on how to proceed. 
Notice the instructions on no "doggie" bags. 

A great selection of sauces, I think I probably had the first or second choice, I just can't eat spicy stuff anymore.  And I miss it!

This is where you "commandeer" your bowl.

This is the "grill of epic porportions".

Each pile of ingredients belongs to a different customer. 
The tip jar is strategically placed before you have your hands full of your bowl. 

Here are the guys on the grill when we were there.  They were complete clowns, but did their job efficiently. 

The food was good.  Like any buffet place one needs to go several times before finding just the right combinations.  My choices were lots of veggies with shrimp.  And it was a happy place with many families.  

So, if you ever see a HuHot restaurant, you will be understand what you are getting into.
#   #   # 

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

We had a Mongolian grill in our small town maybe 35 years ago, it was delicious, sadly the owners could not get along and it folded. It was strange fare for a small mostly germanic rural town.

Martha Ginn said...

Del, when I have time I love to read your blog--today looking for the reference to Joan Colvin quilts. She was a rock star in my estimation.
Thank you for your interesting posts about animals (yours and others'), great food, travels, quilts, even the "blue" post in this extreme heat. I know managing and posting photos is a huge task--more than just hitting a button! There are probably many people who enjoy but do not comment. Just wanted you to know we appreciate you!