Sunday, October 21, 2018

Reposting: "Tiger, Tiger" by Margaret Hunt 10-21-18

A quilt from the early years of TCQC, by Margaret Hunt 

This dramatic quilt was made by Margaret Hunt of South Carolina in 1998.  I purchased it in 2003.  The story behind it is that Margaret's guild had a challenge that required using black and white fabrics plus one other fabric.  When she turned in her quilt they said "No, you used more than one other fabric."   So, she showed them the multicolor batik she had used and embellished with thread painting in several different colors.  There is a piece of the batik attached to the back along with the label.   When Margaret's friends saw the quilt they declared that the tiger looks like her husband!  I've always wanted to meet that guy! 


“Tiger, Tiger”  1998  Margaret Hunt  41“W x 49”L
Cotton fabrics and thread, machine applique, piecing, quilting.


In a previous blog I talked about the fading in the border.  You can read that at:
#   #   #




Wednesday, June 18, 2008


Fading Fabric 06-18-08

Going through my "Fabric Library" I'm always amazed to find fading on fabrics that have not been exposed to light. I am reminded of the wonderful quilt in the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection that has two black fabrics that have lost their color. I believe the quilt was hung in florescent lighting which is very bad for textiles unless it is the special kind that is used in quilt shops.
On the left is the fabric in the right border of the quilt - it has lightened and become pink! On the right the purple looking fabric (which is actually black, but I used a flash so the color is inaccurate) is from my fabric library and unexposed to light.
On the same quilt, a different border fabric, top left of picture, has also faded from black with off-white print to purple.
I wouldn't dream of doing restoration because I feel that the faded pieces are part of the history of the quilt. If they develop holes then I will take action. Fading on these two pieces doesn't ruin the quilt for me. I still think it is wonderful!

"Tiger, Tiger" Margaret Hunt 41"W x 49"L
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Yes, I too like this lovely quilt. I think the tiger is a pussy cat!