Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Oh, NO! Not a cold. 07-23-19

The last few days I thought I was having allergy problems.  The doors and windows in the classroom are open for ventilation and I have been sneezing and wheezing.  Lots of plants that I don't usually encounter are blooming.  Tonight, however, I think this is a head cold and I don't know if I should go to class tomorrow.  Everyone will hate me if they all come down with colds next week.  After all, I was so sick two years ago after Empty Spools because my seatmate had a cold and passed it on to me.  Oh, dear.  What to do?

The class progressed today in the organized way that Sue's classes do.  We learned about dyeing with black dyes, somewhat more exacting that other colors.  And we started making mono-prints in black and in color.  So far I have not created the image to top all images.  And surely never will!  But I am happy with most of my pieces so far.  They are all 22" X 22" so there is no great loss in materials if they end up in the rag bag.  Besides, each one that we make we can learn something, if only that something doesn't work.  We all have pieces "batching" under an electric blanket in the classroom.  The temperature here has been running 70F or below, so extra heat needs to be applied to set the dye.  When the temps are over 70F the electric blanket is not required.

The only pictures I took today were of the goldfinches at the feeders in the yard here at the cabins.   I was in the driveway, inside my car so they wouldn't be spooked.  Not good pictures, taken with my phone, the only available implement at the time.  There were about a dozen finches changing places and an equal number of swallows swooping over the lawn eating flying bugs.  

I have never seen feeders like these, they seem to be made of some kind of mesh and are surely filled with nyjer seed, the goldfinches dinner of choice. 

I believe these are lesser goldfinches, but could be females mixed in. 


Only one male in his bright yellow plumage.  Wonder if all the other birds are his harem?


Hope I am feeling better in the morning and can go to class.  I will be very sad to miss this class that I booked so long ago and spent so much time, money, and energy to take.  
Woe is I!

#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Oh dear! Move your table/chair away from your classmates; wash your hands before you touch anything they may touch; cover your mouth well if sneezing and/or coughing; and get extra rest; drive extra fluids, and remember that old remedy chicken soup for lunch and/or dinner. DON'T MISS CLASS. The others will miss you as will Sue and you'll miss some wonderful information. A cold is not serious, actually these days the flu doesn't seem to be a worry! Please, you are always so thoughtful, this time think of yourself and use caution! ;-)

Enjoy dyeing with black!? Thanks for the goldfinch photos....the seed sock is a favor of the goldfinch...note how they can hold on upside down with their toes, as they do on when they are feeding off a thistle plant.