Friday, May 22, 2020

Friday Food 05-22-20

I don't always eat breakfast, I know the health gurus say it is the most important meal of the day, but I just don't wake up hungry.  And then I forget.  But I do love to go out for breakfast and I miss that in these Virus days.  These images are from the Original Pancake House in Placentia in January 2019.  I had met my friend Carol there for the usual great breakfast.   At the next table were several young people who were all tall and skinny and eating massive amounts of food.  Just look at the stack of eight large pancakes - a side dish!.
  
My choice is always the Dutch baby which is cooked in a hot skillet and popped into the oven to finish.  It is served with lemon edges and a bowl of powdered sugar. 


Carol likes the corn pancakes (I think) and we split a side of bacon.  

The boy on the left and the girl on the right are together with another girl seated off the right of the picture.  The woman and man in the middle are at the next table.  I suppose the three young people are sharing the eight pancakes and each has an individual serving of eggs and whatever.  

Last week I was overcome with a yearning for a Dutch baby, so I called the restaurant for takeout.  By the time I arrived my food was ready and I raced home so it wouldn't get cold.  It was very good, but somehow not the same as eating at the restaurant.  And it is expensive - coffee, Dutch Baby, side of bacon, tip = $20!  

#   #   #

5 comments:

Janet Windsor said...

After church in Placentia every Sunday when I was a teenager, The Original Pancake House. This takes me back. The corncakes were my favorite, also. Thanks for the nostalgia.

Loretta said...

I love the Dutch Baby. It is my reward on a Sunday morning, to fix it, with a a spritz of lemon juice and sprinkled with powered sugar along with a pot a fresh coffee, squeezed orange juice and fresh berries of some kind. Heavenly. Take care, stay well and enjoy this holiday weekend.

Sherrie Spangler said...

I had a yearning for pancakes the other day, then I realized I was out of maple syrup. I didn't feel like masking up to go to the store just for one item, so I sadly ate something else. Now you have me wanting them again!

abelian said...

Oh, it was worth $20, at least this time! I miss restaurants. Dottie

Martha Ginn said...

Del, I had never heard of the Dutch Baby until recently when a local friend mentioned having it in Europe and even posted her recipe and trial of making one. So I tried it--just for me. I loved reading about your driving to your restaurant to pick up one and showing us the picture. Mine was acceptable and I was glad to learn about it. Thanks for teaching me what I have missed.