Saturday, May 15, 2021

Dinner out - at a restaurant! 05-15-21

Dinner out this evening with  neighbors I don't know at all except for speaking when KoKo and I are walking.  They have two big dogs that KoKo is always looking for, although he generally doesn't like big dogs.  Guess these neighbors are looking for company as they invited me and another widow who also walks her little dog.  It was an interesting evening at a local restaurant that seems to be very popular - Rembrandts and is always talked up on Placentia Buzz Facebook site.   There were quite a few people in the bar, but not so many in the tent, which is very large.  

Just two tables occupied at the far end, behind me, and three tables at the other end of the tent. The two closest tables had reserved signs, but nobody showed up for those.  The towering things in the distance are space heaters.  Even inside the tent it was quite cool, but not uncomfortable.  My mask dangling beneath my chin sort of ruins the look.  I think I was more dressed up than anyone else in the place - lots of jeans, but it seems that that is almost a uniform these days.  

Perfectly cooked scallops on Parmesan mushroom risotto.  This is what most of us ordered - delicious. 

The others had seared Ahi tuna on harvest grains and veggies.  Some kind of crispy curls on the top.

Of course, dessert!  This is Creme Brule cheesecake.  It was very, very good, but I couldn't taste the creme Brule at all.

I've never seen this cute way of serving a dollop of whipped cream. 

Their "signature" dessert is called Wedding Cake which one of the ladies ordered.  It is very large - seven layers, but also cut very thin.  She said it was yummy - Oreos and caramel, I think.  They serve a different flavor each week. 

The sides of the tent are "see thru" - a fine mesh.  So, I had this view of the outside and the grey overcast we have been having this past week.  Sometimes there is afternoon sun, but not today.  

As for the pandemic...   All the servers were masked and the people I saw came in with masks on and removed them at their table.  There was a singer doing Rat Pack tunes to recorded instrumentals and he was not masked, of course.  It was nice to hear those old songs, but much too loud, I missed about half the conversation at our table.  I'd go back to eat there, but would request a table at either end of the tent, instead of in the middle.

How lovely to be taken out to dinner after all these months.  Very nice.

#   #   #

2 comments:

Loretta said...

A lovely occasion to meet the folks of the neighborhood. Nice people all...
Take care.

Martha Ginn said...

This sounds like a lovely outing, made even more special because it involves getting to know neighbors!