Thursday, October 14, 2021

Pacific Grove, CA 10-14-21

I do love the little town of Pacific Grove.  It is what is known as charming!  Lots of fancy Victorian cottages and houses, well maintained over all the intervening years.  Of course, there are more post WWII houses than the Victorians.  Since the town putts up to the north end of Monterey they just run together so I'm not sure exactly where one ends and the other begins.  Every day I am here I will drive the shore line of Monterey Bay, stopping to breath the special air, watch the birds, greet the dog walkers, remember the poem "I must go down to the sea again......" learned in grade school.  Some of these pictures are sideways to show them better.  Let me know if this is not a good idea.

Waves splashing high

Asilomar Beach with series of waves rolling in.

White and blue with birds.

This pile of rocks is completely covered wih seagulls , cormorants, and other sea birds.  They fly up in a cloud and then settle back down again.  Even with my binoculars I could not tell what species they are.  

I did some sewing work today, got gas at $4.79/gallon, and went to the Red House for a salmon dinner.  I wanted some Olallieberry pie, but was too full.  Might go back tomorrow for breakfast.   Pie for breakfast is very special.
#   #   #


 

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Oh, how I miss the Red House for my dinner...a regular spot for me, too! The sideways pix are fine only because they allow for a larger photo. Wow! the birds of in large amounts...fantastic, and as always the huge rocks with the waves crashing are exciting and mesmerizing! I do love visiting Pacific Grove and its quant homes and shops! Thanks so much for sharing your pix.

abelian said...

I miss Pacific Grove, too! My husband’s grandparents owned a tiny house just north of Asilomar, so I visited Pacific Grove for the first time over 60 years ago. Long before Empty Spools brought me back. Grandad was a retired nurseryman, and had a beautiful garden, surrounded by six-foot fences to keep the Asilomar deer away from his specimen plants. Occasionally a deer would jump that fence! Dottie