Friday, December 2, 2022

A little drizzle, off my feet, and Friday Food 12-02-22

10:30am and I am online so I might get caught up on some postponed computer stuff today.  We had a little rain earlier, but not enough to stave off the drought anytime soon.  Another storm is moving down the coast so maybe there will be more rain.  After seeing Dr. Melanie yesterday I have a professionally wrapped ankle which is just sprained, not broken.  However, I need to stay off my feet for a while.  My kind neighbor Donna took KoKo for a walk this morning, between raindrops and another neighbor has offered for tomorrow.  I can't quite get comfortable to work on the laptop with my leg up on a chair, so I will figure out how to do it in the recliner.  Doc says I will have to limit activity for three weeks!  Not a chance.  I will try, but have places to go and things to do.  After Covid isolation I need to continue to grow my going and doing, can't fall back into the void.  

Friday Food.....I do like to try new foods and sometimes find a favorite, but rambutans is not one of those.  Frieda's is a company that offers many different "exotic" foods from around the world.  I bought these at TJoe's a few weeks ago.  I've seen them before and wondered, but never yielded to temptation.  Very expensive - about 10 in a plastic carton for around $5.  


They were about 1-1/2 inches long and look like some sort of bug, a hairy rolypoly. 


There is a sort of seam where I gently inserted a paring knife and pried them open.  Inside the fruit looks like a large white grape which comes easily out of the husk.   The plate is 6". 

Inside the fruit is a hard seed the size of an almond and it looks like one also. The cut open fruit (at the bottom) tastes to me like a grape and a pear.  Soft, the consistency of a ripe peach, it was very juicy (eat over the sink) and very sweet.  I did enjoy trying this, but seems like a lot of money and work, I will just buy grapes! 

#   #   #   


1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Wished we lived closer, a lot closer, you could borrow my knee roller and keep off the foot. Glad it's a strain and not a break.
Mary Ann