Monday, January 2, 2023

A New Year - no resolutions!

I left resolutions behind many years ago.  I never kept them and it seems self defeating to beat myself up over it.  Now I just go day by day and do the best I can.  I can't even settle on a word for the year ahead as some people do.  I suppose two words would be okay - "Keep Going".  The last three years have aged me and I have some physical problems. But I try to keep walking, keep getting out, keep working at something.  I haven't been all that successful, but I keep moving ahead.  It is the best I can do right now.  

I had hoped to go to the Madeline Island workshops in Tucson again, but still not well enough to do it this year, maybe next.  I went in January 2018 for a 5-day Sue Benner landscape class.  It is a beautiful desert setting and the weather was perfect.  Of course I took a lot of pictures   And Sue  had us interpret a photo we had taken there to create a small quilt top.  

The Saguaro cactus are so amazing, no matter how many times I see them. 
This agave grows behind one of the residence buildings with a palo verde behind it.   Such an interesting palette. 


The picture I took is on the left with some additions at the top where the picture was cut off.  It is always a challenge to find good fabrics among the boxes we take along to the class.  Sometimes one must compromise.  I think the sky fabric is too strong, but that is what I had with me.  This remains in the "might complete it some day" pile, which is very, very tall!   

Hope I can go back one day, maybe next January?

#   #   #

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Del, I hear you. I have not been able to go to QSDS either. But I hark back to the class where Ned Wert told us. You will get to the point where you don't need a class, you just need to sit and do the work! It is true and now I consider each day a "QSDS" day. I g to my work area and work on my drawing, stitching or quilt. Sometimes work on all 3 alternatively.
Today was Doctor day and I got a good report. Blood pressure down, Cholesterol down. A1C good. I wonder if it is my new exercise bike and getting at least 10 minutes of pedaling a day.
Hope you get some relief from your problems. You are on my friends and family nightly prayer list! Mary Ann

Sherrie Spangler said...

I'm so sorry you won't make it to Tucson this year as I was looking forward to getting together with you. Be gentle with yourself.

Carol said...

I love your quilt based on your photo!