Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Tree Hugger for life! 01-03-23

Trees have always held a place in my heart, perhaps because I spent my childhood mostly in Oregon where there were oh-so-many-trees.  I do take pictures of trees wherever I go. 

Some trees are "decorated" like this one in Santa Nella, CA, with a flock of blackbirds.  

Or maybe in flower like this one in Tustin, CA, at a Starbuck's drive-thru. 

The almond trees along I-5 in the Central Valley of California are usually blooming when I drive up to Pacific Grove for the Empty Spools workshop in March/April.  They soon won't be so plentiful as many orchards are being torn out because almonds take an excessive amount of water and water is just not available since the drought started.  Lots of tumbleweeds piled up against the wire fence.  

I do love palm trees and there are so many different varieties.  These grow along Pacific Coast Highway (101) along my route to San Diego. 

I have made a few tree quilts, among them some palms.
This is only 8" X 11" and was part of the Journal Quilt Project some years ago. 

These palms are more recent - made for a small exhibit at PIQF 2019.

But perhaps my favorite trees are the shaggy, irregular Douglas Firs that grew on almost every lot in Portland and covered the forested hills all around.  This one above the Clackamas River at Oregon City.  

But nothing is as serene as the cedars in the large lot of my late friend Mable's house in Mt. Vernon, Washington. 

#   #   #



1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I grew up in Seattle, with trips to those wonderful, dense, evergreen forests. I so love the smell of them, and the sound of the wind is SO different from the palms. I was realizing just last week that my image of forests was greatly impacted by those surroundings. I get surprised when I see forests in media where you can just walk between the trees! ;-)