Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Reading 02-22-23

Mostly I read instead of doing anything I SHOULD do or am SUPPOSED to do.  I decided at some point in the last 10 years that I wasn't going to do anything I didn't really want to do.   That was a mistake and I have been fighting that attitude ever since.  Covid didn't help because there was so much I couldn't do, although the first year I quilted up a storm.  Then along came sciatica which limited (and still limits) what I am physically able to do.   What I can do is read and so it goes!   I do enjoy actual paper books, even hard covers, but occasionally read with Kindle on my cell phone.  Lots of resources - books from friends, books from little street libraries, books from Amazon - and I tend to read different categories: anything but Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Romance, Manga or Anime.  There is always a book to read for the Book Group (of 40+ years) and now I have been invited to another group of long standing - the Lit Group (for literary).  They have lost members and need to find some new readers.  I went to their meeting last Friday and will give it a try.  I fear that they are too "literary" for me.  And the structure of their meetings is the opposite of my regular group.  The Lit Group has the hostess prepare a bio of the author and present a review of the book at the meeting.  In the Book Group we all read the book beforehand and then discuss it at the meeting.  Less formal, I think.  For March the selection for the Lit Group is "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus.   The Book Group is reading "The Personal Librarian" by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray.

                                        

             

I have been seeing ads for Beach Town Books in San Clemente, so while I was down in Dana Point for a meeting I took a box of used books and drove down to find the store.  It is very, very small and sells mostly used books, but also some current popular new volumes.  They had a copy of "Lessons in Chemistry" and I found a few other favorite author's books I haven't read.  So, I came home with about half the number of books I took down there.  Their system is like the other used book stores, they start an account and give credit for the books you take in and you draw on that credit for what you buy.  Some exceptions apply, new books are full price.  I am down in that area a couple times a month so I will keep taking books down and swing by to trade them in. 

#   #   # 


1 comment:

Loretta said...

You needed another reason to read....a new book club! Wonderful!