Saturday, April 8, 2023

Friday Food 04-07-23

The food at Empty Spools is provided by the Asilomar Conference Center and they have different vendors in different years.  Sometimes the food is excellent, sometimes it is awful.  This year was one of the awful years!   I usually eat something in my room in the morning, don't usually go to lunch, but depend on dinner to carry me through.  The menu offers a regular diet or vegetarian diet, so one has a choice.  One night the choice was pork with chili verde or tofu with chili verde.  Since I don't eat pork I tried the tofu and found  it inedible.  NOT a good combination.   But there is always a large bowl of fresh green salad and bread or rolls.   I survived!  I do think they must have hit a  good deal  on black beans and polenta, because both were served at every dinner!  

The one night that there is not an evening program some of us go out to dinner in town.  My choice was Il Vecchio, an lovely rustic Italian place about a block from the Aquarium.  And my choice is always Carbonara and a side of broccoli.  Everyone tells me that all the food is exceptional, but since I can only go there once a year I always have the Carbonara, the best I have ever eaten.  This time I couldn't eat all of it, so had a doggy box to take back to my room and eat for breakfast! 


I like the "decor" at Il Vecchio.  

 On one wall they have assorted chairs hung high up, just to look at, not for sitting, of course.
 
And in the restroom they have this lovely large naked lady... 

  
                                          ....and strange tiling on the floor.

#   #   #


1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

QSDS used to be held at the University Inn in Columbus. For breakfast we were segregated to a special breakfast which never included protein. Cereal, rolls, fruit. You had to sit and order and pay for a breakfast if you wanted eggs or meat. The first year I went it was in another place that was renowned for its white food. Strange bur true, everything they served was white.
University Inn also provided concluding banquet meal which featured Chicken Parmesan made from the chicken they served the night before. Just sayin'!