Sunday, April 21, 2024

After Empty Spools 04-21-24

It was a wonderful week, but I don't remember ever being so tired in all my life. My old body was not ready for all the packing/unpacking, lifting, hanging quilts, hiking  to/from the dining hall, and being "ON" most of the day.  Fortunately, everyone was willing to help.  I just needed to ask.  Everything went fairly smoothly, but needed more time to take down and bundle the quilts on Friday. Thanks to Suzanne, Star, Deborah, and many others I survived the week!  Decided I was unsafe behind the wheel to drive home on Friday, so stayed another night at Asilomar and came home on Saturday.  The drives, both up and back, were seven hours.  Going up there was extremely heavy traffic and heavy rain that lowered visibility so much I considered getting off the highway and waiting it out!   Coming home I decided to stick closer to the speed limit and see what mileage I could get - 23.5 mpg.  Not bad for a 19 year old car!

Here are just three  pictures.  More to come....

  
Suzanne Cox,  one of the three original owners and the only one still active.


Del and Nancy Ota's wonderful quilt "KoKo and Froggy" which she loaned for this exhibit.

#    #   #



2 comments:

abelian said...

It’s nice to see Suzanne and her smile. I have fond memories of her - she drove me to the hospital when I became ill at Empty Spools one year. I’m glad you had a good week; I think that being “on” all day is really wearing on you. I miss Empty Spools, and seeing you there. Dottie

Rebecca said...

It's a good thing your pacemaker was helping you. The way you described how you felt, I think it would have been even harder to make it through the week. Hopefully you have some recovery days!

That quilt is wonderful! I'm thinking you traded live Koko for quilted Koko for the week? You were able to have him with you.