Monday, September 1, 2008

September 1, 1938 09-01-08

There are seventy years between the two dates above and today I am 70 years old. Hard for me to believe - where do the years go, anyway? I'm not much of a party gal, so I am spending my birthday quietly with Mary and Joe. Joe's birthday is tomorrow, but he has a half dozen years on me. It is nice to be here in my 'home away from home', I always feel welcome and loved. It has been a sort of lazy day and the weather is perfect. I'm so lucky.

This beautiful orchid is a gift from Mary and Joe. It is so unusual, I don't think I have seen one like this before. Not only an abundance of blossoms, but lots of buds of different sizes. I'm sure there will be blossoms for six months or more.

An additional gift, almost as wonderful....
Mary helped me hem the two new pair of slacks I bought Saturday at the outlets in Gilroy. If I stitch fast I'll have pair hemmed to wear home. I'm so lucky!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Gerrie said...

I didn't know you are my age!! I thought you were younger. I hit 79 on Oct. 12.

A very Hippo Birdy to you!

Gerrie said...

Big WHOOPS! I will be 70. Thanks for the heads up, Del!!

Patty ♣ said...

So glad that you have enjoyed this day! Your orchid is very beautiful!! The gift of Mary and Joe's friendship is also such a treasure. Be safe on the drive home....

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm so glad I got to meet you this year, and I wish you a fabulous birthday and year!

Christine Thresh said...

Happy Birthday, Del.
I love reading your blog. You see such interesting things in the world. It's fun to go along with you on your journeys.

Penny Mateer said...

Happy Day after Birthday Del!
What a beautiful orchid and lovely reminder of those you love.
Penny

dee said...

The happiest of birthdays Del. So glad you could get to visit good friends and celebrate with them. That is a lovely orchid.

Corky said...

Del, I'm so sorry I didn't see this yesterday so I could wish you a happy birthday on the proper day. Many happy returns of the day!

meggie said...

Happy Birthday!
I love that orchid, it is beautiful.

Terry Grant said...

Oh, I missed your birthday. I haven't been reading all the blogs for a few days, but I hope you had a wonderful birthday and my sincere wishes for a great year to come! You make 70 look great!