Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quilts from TCQC 10-19-08

"Night Maple" Ruth B. McDowell 2004 48"W x 57"L
Ruth's artist's statement reads:
"The shapes of the trunk and branches of Japanese maples are wonderful silhouettes in the winter. The use of a big collection of indigo dyed fabrics in the background gives a feeling of late evening to the quilt. One big polka dot from one of the indigo fabrics was carefully placed among the branches." www.ruthbmcdowell.com
You may notice as the weeks go by that I am very fond of quilts with trees. Which is also obvious in my blog posts. This quilt by Ruth McDowell fits with this time of year and takes me back to my childhood in western Oregon. As with all of her quilts, this one is machine pieced, even the tiniest little branches, and machine quilted. It also has some small spots of hand applique and embroidery.
The indigo fabrics come from many different countries, including Japan, Holland, and the USA.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

dee said...

This is a beautiful and peaceful quilt. Her work leaves me speechless.
Didn't get a chance to tell you how much I enjoyed the quilts from the last post. The work on that last monkey is amazing. Thanks for the show Del.

Corky said...

I've been off line most of the weekend and just saw your great quilt show from PIQF. I miss that show. I enjoyed attending every year when I lived in the area.

Thanks for posting the photos. As for Ruth's quilt...well, what can I say. I'd love to take another class from her.

Christine Thresh said...

You were so smart to collect some quilts from Ruth McDowell. What treasures you have.

Terry Grant said...

Another amazing quilt. The combination of those indigo dyes and the orange is spectacular. This quilt really sings.

Kristin L said...

I agree with Christine that any self respecting modern quilt collection needs a work by Ruth McDowell. I love the way she works with fabric. This is just stunning!