Saturday, October 25, 2008

More quilts from PIQF 10-25-08

More quilts from the World Competition. If anyone knows the websites for any of the artists for whom I don't show websites, please let me know so I can post them. I'm surprised more are not members of SAQA!
The work of Laura Fogg is justifiably awarded prizes and admiration. She creates very realistic views of landscape and nature, give each a depth that draws the viewer into the scene.Laura always includes some three dimensional aspects in her work and when I see one of her quilts I always look to see if I can find it. She doesn't hide it, mind you, but most people just don't look.



Lfogg@mcoe.usmendocinoquiltartists.com

 http://www.pameladruhenthreadscapes.com/

This is one of my favorites from PIQF 08. The crispness of the foreground and the fuzziness of the background make the viewer feel they are looking through a window on this winter scene. I longed to sit in a comfortable chair with my quilting on my lap and just enjoy the peacefulness.

Pamela uses a piecing technique similar to that of Ruth McDowell. Then she adds lots of thread painting to shape and accent the objects in the quilt.



Another triptych, they seem to be increasingly popular. This one is nicely made, but to me the middle panel is out of sync with the two side panels. I can just imagine it as a diptych!


This is a great nest, it has the illusion of being cupped to hold the eggs - nice color.


The nest is balanced on the third panel with these lovely trees. There is calligraphy on the backgrounds throughout the quilt, but under the nest and trees and other things it is very difficult to read. http://www.haddrickonfabric.com.au/


Posted by Picasa

No comments: