Saturday, October 25, 2008

More PIQF Quilts 10-24-08

[Note: I have added information to Franki Kohler's quilt posted 10-22-08]
The Pacific International Quilt Festival has entry categories, of course, but it also shows a variety of quilts which are not included in the judging. According to the program there were seventeen special exhibits including selected quilts from the "World Quilt Competition". Always a highlight for me! Here are a few quilts from that exhibit that I think are special.



I was attracted to this quilt by the way the triptych fits together and by the color. It has a lot of embellishment that can't been seen until viewed close up. I love quilts that say one thing from a distance and something more in the details. http://www.janetcook.co.uk/





I think the color in this quilt is wonderful, but it doesn't translate very well to my computer screen, perhaps better to yours. I like the closeup views framed and superimposed on a view of the whole forest.



This is a charming quilt and it is impeccably made. Perfect stitches, smooth applique and piecing, machine quilting that flows with the design and it hangs square and flat.

What a perfect little mouse (shrew?), with his sparkling eye he looks ready to jump off the quilt and run across the floor.

The same with this little fellow. Although this is not the kind of quilt I collect I would absolutely love to have it on my wall so I could examine it in detail time after time.
http://www.kayhaerland.com/
Posted by Picasa
The undersides of the mushrooms here and in the bottom picture are done with the 'chenille' cutting method making the mushrooms look very real.

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

That Streak of Lightning by Janet Cook & Sally Holman is wonderful. I love it.

Patty ♣ said...

Like you Del, I would love to have the quilt made by Kay Haerland! I wish I could have seen that one! You have so many Great pictures! Love them!!! Thank You!