Monday, August 10, 2009

Food Notes 08-10-09


Yes, this is a BLT! Sans the top slice of bread since I am only supposed to be eating one slice of bread a day and lettuce works just great. I am showing this because it is my one BLT of the year! I do love them, but I don't usually eat tomatoes which have become very acidic and I don't usually eat bacon because it is bad for me. BUT if I can find someone in late July or early August who will let me have one of their vine ripened - I mean REALLY ripened so that the sugar has fully developed - tomatoes, I prepare my feast. This year it was excellent! I thank Cindy Croucher, a member of the Surfside Quilters Guild board, for the tomatoes - I'm writing her down for next year!
Meg Messervy in Australia talked about an unusual salad a few weeks ago. Admittedly the combination sounds odd, but sometimes those unusual ingredients really work. I printed it out and gave it a try and it was delicious. Since then Meg and I have had some e-discussion about it and I want to share it with you. I used 1/2 of an large navel orange cut into 1/2" bits, about 2 cups seedless watermelon in 1" cubes, 5 good size radishes cut into slices (cut thick rather than thin), half of a small can of sliced black olives, three medium Romaine leaves cut into chunks. I mixed everything together in a bowl large enough to toss the salad. The dressing is about 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and the juice of half a medium lemon, but will have to do it to suit your taste. Put the dressing on and toss just before serving.
Meg uses a mix of greens that sound like what are called "field greens" in the markets here - baby spinach, radicchio, arugula, oak leaf, etc. - they are all small leaves and I think they would be better than the Romaine. I'll use them next time.
Meg's blog is great - shown by the fact that she has 362 followers all over the world. I love it when she uses Aussie expressions that one must interpret the best they can. "Crapsticks" isn't a good example, but it did make me LOL. http://lifesfreetreats.blogspot.com/

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Meggie said...

Hi Del, how delicious your salad looks. I have made it recently and we always enjoy it. I am sure any type of lettuce would work.
Crapsticks is an expression I learned from my adult granddaughter when she was younger! It made me laugh too.