Monday, August 10, 2009

Frieda Anderson quilt from TCQC 08-09-09

I keep a list of the quilts I have posted on my blog, but I took it with me to Long Beach because I had some help with reorganizing the files. Of course, the job is only half done and I brought back all the files and paperwork divided into "done", "half done", "need more info", "not done". But now I cannot find that list! I suppose it is misfiled in one of the folders, but I can't look tonight. I don't believe I have previously posted this gorgeous quilt.

"Walks in the Woods" Frieda Anderson 2002 65"W x 56"L

In December 2005 it hung in Mary Leakey's house in San Juan Bautista - it was perfect for Christmas.

I bought this quilt at the Spring Quilt Market in Pittsburgh, PA, in 2004. It was traveling with the Husquavarna Viking Gallery of Quilt Art "Spirit & Strength" Quilt Tour. And it continued to travel until September 2005. I had gone to the Market as Ruth Powers' helper - it was a grand trip - and had no idea of buying a quilt (I usually don't plan it - it just happens!) Ruth had gone around looking at the exhibits while I watched the booth. When she returned she told me I needed to go look at the "Masters Exhibit", that I would love a couple of those quilts. I looked at the quilts and immediately found the Quilts, Inc. table and wrote out the check. I could hardly endure the wait for a year and a half until it 'came home'. Unlike many of Frieda's more recent work, this quilt is pieced, not fused. The name of the quilt derives from her many walks in the woods with her dog, George. This was the second quilt with the "walk in the woods" theme, the first was by Noriko Endo. http://delquilts.blogspot.com/search/label/Noriko%20Endo

You can see more of Frieda Anderson's work on her website: http://www.friestyle.com/
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Vivika said...

Del, that is one fabulous quilt you have there! I love the simplicity and the power of the colors. Gorgeous.

Vivika

Christine Thresh said...

That is a lovely quilt. You were smart to snap it up when you saw it. Did it look better than you remembered when it arrived at your place from its grand tour?

Meggie said...

How lovely it is! I can understand why you love it.

Diane J. Evans said...

Oh, you lucky gal! What a beautiful acquisition! I'm slowly learning to buy beautiful treasures like this one when I see them -- they never come around again, do they?! Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Diane