Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Checking my e-mail 04-06-10

I had an e-mail today from Nancy Cook of North Carolina who commented on the Ruth McDowell "Rooster" I posted on Sunday night. Thanks, Nancy, comments are always welcome.
I have seen Nancy's work previously and went for another look on her blog, her website and the blog of a group she belongs to "Fiber Art Options". Very impressive work and some interesting ideas on ways to hang quilts in galleries which don't accommodate the slat-in-sleeve-system. Check them out at: http://www.nancygcook.com http://nancygcook.blogspot.com http://fiberartoptions.blogspot.com/ I also dipped into the personal websites of some of the other F.A.O. members. And I will go back again.
I am impressed by the exhibits that all of the members of Fiber Art Options are involved in. Their "Orchids: Sensuality Stitched" closed March 15th at the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden in Belmont, NC. A great variety of styles and techniques with wonderful colors - there are pictures on the group site and individual sites that explain some of the techniques used. Also on their group site there are more ideas about how to hang quilts on hard walls without framing them.
I haven't done much "blog surfing" for the past few months because I have been swamped with things I needed to get done. Today while I was feeling lousy and coughing my head off was a perfect time to get caught up a bit. Tomorrow I plan to get well!.

1 comment:

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

Del, Thanks for your kind comments about Fiber Art Options. It is a great group, and I am very proud to be a part of it. It has helped me so much in my fiber art career. Nancy Cook has been a wonderful mentor to me.

Our group learned a great deal in putting on our recent exhibition; the hanging method was one thing that one of our members learned about and we adapted to fit the venue.

And I must admit that I covet your æDelft Henæ by Ruth McDowell. I'm a big fan of Ruth's work, too, and this one is really marvelous. I love how she worked in a monochromatic way, and got so much texture and scale from those blue prints she used in the feathers.