Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Oddities 06-15-10

Life is full of strange quirks and oddities. I frequently see strange signs or billboards that pose a quandary in my mind. Years ago, whilst driving across Quebec, I kept seeing handwritten signs in French and wondered what they said - for sale? lost dog? room for rent? No. I eventually learned they said "Worms for sale". Lots of fishing up there, I guess. I recently saw a billboard advert for an airline that said, "Fly like a who's who, Pay like a who's that." Huh? Didn't catch the name of the airline.
I bought the Lexus on April Fool's Day 2009 - maybe this is the April Fool's joke. Sometimes when I took a disc out of the DVD player (I've never had one previously) I would hear these little children's voices, rather faint. I didn't hear them all the time, but I knew they were the same voices. On the way home from Mary's I put in a Patsy Cline disc and nothing happened - no music - and when I tried to eject it, it wouldn't eject. So, yesterday I visited my favorite garage to see if they had any suggestions. As Ron was looking at the manual a guy came in with his car and walked over. Upon hearing the problem of the children's voices he said, "how about the DVD player in the backseat?" - my brain asked "there's a player in the backseat?". Sure 'nuff there is a player and this disc was inside. Out with the children's voices. The problem with the player in the front is not solved, but I have discovered that if I turn off the ignition and turn it on again the disc will eject. Ron says I will have to visit the (hated) dealer - maybe not, maybe I will just keep turning the key off and on. Might be tricky given how much I hate to pull over even for pictures. No clutch to pop, either.
Whoa - is this ever a strange sight!! I was driving from Mary's east to I-5 when I thought I saw a horse in a utility trailer. Naaaah, can't be. But, just to be sure, I was pushing the limit trying to get in position for a picture. Not a very good picture, but it proves that there WAS a horse in a utility trailer.... a fake horse, thank heaven. His tail was some sort of fiber so it waved in the breeze, making the horse seem even more real.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Carol said...

Looks like a horse to me! Glad you solved the mystery of the voices. That one could have remained unsolved!

Loretta said...

Hi Del, Your life is just one litte surprise after another!!! Delightful! Thanks so very much for adding a bit of humor to my day.

Terry Grant said...

You brightened up my day! I am laughing about those children's voices emanating from your back seat. Spooky!