Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ruth McDowell class - 2nd week 04-14-12

Just one quilt tonight.  I drove to San Diego this morning and spent the rest of the day at Visions Art Museum where I gave a gallery tour of the quilts from the TCQC and also Art Meets Science from SAQA.  My voice was not up to par - very scratchy and weak - and my brain didn't hit on all cylinders - I needed to look up the names of artists that I know well.  Apologies to those of you who may have been there - thank you for attending.  VAM and all museums need our extra support in this economic downturn.  Membership declines and corporate grants dry up, we need to scrap the bottom of our pockets to keep all quilt museums open.  Support any or all - they need us now.
The result of an afternoon at VAM is that I am exhausted again, so I will only post one class quilt tonight.

 
This is a photo that Carole Olsen took in Monterey of a painting on the wall in a dismantled building.  As you can see it is right on the shoreline.   

Ruth teaches that sometimes it is best to do an outline drawing of the important parts of the design. 

Then go over that to mark the sewing lines.   
 
Carole really applies herself in class and accomplished a lot choosing the blue fabrics for sky and sea.
 
Look at the great ocean she has created on the left. 

This is where she was on the last day of class.   
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Del, you are a wonder! So sorry that you got so tired...hopefully, you'll bounce back again quickly.

I am totally awestruck by Carole's piece...how wonderful! She's done really well and I know that if I were to take a class with Ruth, I would never get so far! Gorgeous and well done..good eye on the photo too!