Monday, March 4, 2013

Asilomar/Empty Spools - Day Four 03-04-13

As usual the time is whizzing by and we only have a day and a half left of classes.  Everyone worked hard today and some nice pieces were created.  Some of us are slower than others and I am about the slowest!  Instead of staying in the classroom and applying myself I am off  "taking care of business".  First thing this morning I drove to FedEx/Kinko's in Monterey to print the class list.  This is the first time in all the years that I had all the info for the list on the 2nd day!  Of course, I had to type it, proofread it and draw the "map" of the classroom because we know each other by the quilt we are designing and where in the room we are sitting.  I had the lists printed on acid green paper, like the white/yellow leaves on acid green in the quilt below. 


This is my design board with two separate projects on it.  The top part with the turquoise is one quilt and the yellow/green/white below is another. 
 

On the other side of my folding design board is yet another quilt for which I was just auditioning fabrics.   This one will probably never be made - I like clear, bright colors, so this is a bit mushy for my taste.  However, it is interesting to practice picking out color and texture that might work together.  The tiny white dots are the heads of pins holding the fabric to the design board. 
 

One of two projects done by Annette Friedlein -Encinitas, CA.

Annette Friedlein's second completed top. 
 

Dolores Roseveare - Cupertino, CA,  is my table mate and she just keeps cranking out amazing designs.  This one she is still working on - a completed block on the left and a strip set on the right. 

This is Dolores Roseveare's 2nd top done in class.  It represents the beach, sand and sea glass.  The first top she completed is shown on Saturday's blog post. 
 http://www.delquilts.blogspot.com/2013/03/second-day-at-empty-spoolsasilomar-03.html
 
 
Barbara Friedman - San Diego, has completed three quilt tops and is working on a fourth.  This is number one.
 

The third quilt on Barbara's design board implies a wonderful watery looking world.
 
 
Barbara's first piece is this one featuring a parrot fabric. 
 
 
Here are all Barbara Friedman's works, including the beginning of a fourth!

I have a lot more pictures, but I am too tired to continue tonight. 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Corky said...

Beautiful stuff Del. As always I'm envious of your time there.

Loretta said...

Rayna should be very pleased with the projects from her class...they are all so lovely. Great fun mixing color and texture for cohesive design and they are small so easily worked on in the workshop. Also, the students are prolific...I'm a slow bee in class too. Thank you.