Thursday, March 7, 2013

Driving home from Empty Spools 03-07-13

It was a beautiful day to drive home on I-5.  Mostly sunshine, but little rain showers near Coalinga and for some miles south.  The speeds were pretty average, although there are always some drivers who go as fast as they want - guess they can afford hundreds of dollars to pay off their tickets! I just get out of their way as quickly as possible!

There were very few wild flowers either direction, possibly because the drought continues.


I spent last night at HIE in Santa Nella on I-5.  Not the best of the 'breed', but clean and quiet.   Directly across the street is this field of wild mustard, the only one I saw on the whole trip.  Again, possibly lack of rain fall.
 

In some places the highway is higher than the surrounding farmland, which gives a nice view of the tops of the blossoming almond trees. All one sees is pale pink "foam".
 

When the  highway is on more of the same level the almost black trunks contrast nicely with the fluffy pink "foam".
 

On the left a fully blossoming almond grove, on the right a newly planted one.  Although the spacing makes me wonder if these might be grapevines!
 

I don't know what kind of tree is in the foreground, but more almonds behind.  At the rest stop just north of the Buttonwillow turnoff I pulled off for a little nap.  Only 15 - 20 minutes will give me a second wind.  The rest area is surrounded on three sides by almond groves - the fragrance is lovely.
 

Looking down rows of almond trees - the fallen petals are like delicate pink snow on the ground.  
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your week at Empty Spools. From this side, it seemed to be over almost as quickly as it started.

Patty ♣ said...

Love the pictures Del! Glad ou are home . Rest up.

Loretta said...

Spring flowers are my inspiration for the year ahead. Delicate and fragrant...peace.

Sherrie Spangler said...

What beautiful spring colors -- and it's not even spring yet! I always enjoy your road trip posts.

June said...

Liked your work a lot this year. And the final photo of the almond blossoms with the black tree is delish. We are sitting in a snow cloud, but it should be in the high 60s by Tuesday. I think one of the high rollers in Jerome has some flowering trees on his property but I suspect they'll be frozen out -- it's been below freezing all day.

Loved both Friday feet posts. The last one with the trainer backed by the sock foot made me smile. Glad you got to Asilimar. I'm finding the painting very hard work this time around, so the snow and ice has given me a welcome break.

Anonymous said...

Lovely trees, wish we had some blossoming trees, in stead we were surprised with snow, today!