Sunday, September 28, 2014

Jill Le Croisette quilt in TCQC 09-28-14

I think that quilt makers sometimes forget about simplicity and keep adding and adding - more fabrics, more colors, more quilting - until the point of the quilt is lost.  This quilt by the late Jill Le Croisette is striking in it's simplicity.   Only eight pieces, plus a pile of sticks for the nest - between 20 and 30 - creates a simple straight forward image of a crow, a nest and a tree.  
  
"Crow" Jill Le Croisette - San Diego 2012  12" x 12" 
Cotton fabric, cotton thread. Fused and machine applique. Machine quilting. Hand quilting 

I always struggle with the feet on the birds that I include in a quilt and am never satisfied.  I would surely be proud if I had created these feet.

This tiny eye is machine appliqued. 

This quilt had both a sleeve and a Velcro strip, but I removed the Velcro because it tends to gather threads and fuzz.  Besides, I never use Velcro hangers for quilts. 
 
A simple label which includes a method for contacting the artist. 

No comments: