Monday, May 4, 2015

At Studio Art Quilt Associates conference in Portland, OR 05-03-15

I haven't posted because I haven't been able to get online with my laptop late at night when I want to post.  Guess there were a lot of late night people (quilters?) staying at the hotel and they overloaded the system.  Others were having trouble also.  This is a long post with the pictures in the order I took them.
There is not a lot to take pictures of when at a conference. 
 
Mostly one sees the backs of heads - especially if one sits in the back of the room, which is what I prefer.  Lots of grey/white heads in view. 
 
Very few quilts were shown, mostly power point images.  This is Hsin-Chen Lin with one of the quilts she brought with her from her home in Taiwan.
 
 
Gabe Mackay is the son of one of the ladies in a small group I belong to.  Gabe lives in Portland and owns two restaurants; this is his Biwa, the newest one, located at NE 9th and Ankeny.  The food was quite delicious and beautifully presented.  
 
Asparagus with black sesame sauce (my favorite)
and in the background Beth's cocktail (she let me taste) made with grapefruit juice and vodka and some other unidentified flavors.
 
We also had pot stickers, chicken wings, sea trout on skewers and butterscotch + for dessert.
 
Oh, yes.  We each had a shooter.  Aren't the shells wonderful?
 
The restaurant is below street level and has all the fixtures and plumbing lines exposed.  Here are two noren made by Gabe's mom, covering some of the bareness.
We took a taxi from (and back to) the Double Tree Hotel.  (about $14 r/t) 
 
From the wall sized windows in the elevator lobby I can see many construction cranes.  They are lit up at night - this one is especially beautiful.
 
Here is today's dose of Mt. Hood.
 

On Saturday night there was a banquet at which a lively silent auction was held.  There were over 100 small quilts mounted in 8" x 10" matting frames - the exposed part of the quilt is 4.5" x 6.5" - slightly larger than a postcard.  I kept telling people that this was a FUND RAISER and to BID 'EM UP!  And I was as good as my word.  I went $270 over my preset spending limit and am taking an even dozen of these little jewels home.  I thought it was great fun and SAQA made more than $14,000!
.
          Heather Dubreuil - Hudson QC, Canada
 
           Terry Grant - Beaverton, OR
 
On Friday evening there was an "activity" called "Maker's Space" where "make and take" tables were set up with an artist in attendance at each teaching and helping use different materials and techniques.  I did two of the designated tables:



 
Laura Jaszkowski (Eugene, OR) was showing how to make quick little fused landscapes.
Unfinished, mine is 8"W x 10"L
 
Betty Busby (Albuquerque, NM) had a large plastic box of paint sticks that one could experiment with.  I was struck by the thought that they would make gorgeous clouds.  I have been thinking about cloud quilts for a long time - I think I'll try this at home. These are only 8"W x 4"L, but think of them as huge.
 


 
With every lecture or panel there is more than adequate coffee set up.  Always including one of these three part trays: chocolate curls, whipped cream, and cinnamon sticks.  And, of course, tea makings, cream, sugar, etc.

The chocolate curls fascinate me - they are almost as big around as a Bic pen and less than a quarter inch long.  I tried some in my coffee, but the coffee was not hot enough to melt the chocolate, so it just ended up in the bottom of the cup when the coffee was gone.  I wonder if they have a job description of "chocolate curler" or if the curls are actually extruded in a manufacturing process.   Inquiring minds and all that.

Beth Smith, Director of Visions Art Museum in San Diego, which specializes in quilts and textiles only, and Charlotte Bird who chairs the biennial exhibit called "Visions", gave a joint talk about the museum and the process of the biennial.  The first image up was of the entrance to the museum.  The artists had questions at the end, they would all like to have a quilt in the biennial.
 

This is a view from the elevator lobby in the daytime - Portland's West Hills and construction cranes.  

The only program that showed quilts was the talk by four artists from the Oregon chapter of SAQA.  But the quilts where hung before the speakers and taken down immediately after they were through, so there wasn't much chance to look at them, much less photography.
These gorgeous elephants are by Sheila Finzer (Terrebonne, OR). 
She told a funny story about how she was taking a shower in the outdoor shower at safari camp in SAfrican when the elephants came around.  Not to miss her chance she ran out, grabbed her camera and started shooting pictures.  What we will do for a good picture.



 


Lunch today in the sort of "quick snack" bar in the lobby of the hotel.  We had a good look at the surroundings because it took forever to get our meals. My turkey Panini was excellent and my lunch partner enjoyed her grilled salmon. 
 
  I found these fabric lamps interesting.  And they are unstiffened fabric - my lunch partner was tall enough to reach up for a feel.  There is other lighting to supplement what light these give out.
 
This afternoon I took a four hour class in Katoma Shibori from Ana Lisa Hedstrom, an artist whose work I first saw in the 1970s at Obiko in San Francisco - a wonderful  shop full of original art clothing and accessories  - long gone, of course. 
 
Ana Lisa was so well organized and worked easily with limited facilities.  We dyed in buckets fill with hot water in the bathrooms of our sleeping rooms. 
 
 
This form of Shibori is done using sewing machines to fold and pleat the fabric.  These six pieces are what I did in class.  The sewing machines were provided by a local merchant.
By-the-way, the trick to removing the threads after dyeing is to use a light weight rayon thread in the bobbin, it breaks so easily the stitching comes out in seconds.  If you enlarge the images you can see the little ends of peach colored thread I haven't removed. 
 
This "wonky plaid" was fun to do and has lots of variations.
 
We were to stitch an object and I chose a flower, but the dye didn't penetrate very well. 
 
This is continuous squares or boxes.
 
The two browns are different fabrics - silk noil on the left and cotton on the right.  The silk didn't take the dye very well.  Or maybe it was the way I stitched it.  Anyway, it was an interesting class though I doubt I will do it again.  But it is in my brain filing system, just in case I decide to use it in the future.
 
And here is the daily Mt. Hood.  It will be too hazy to see her in the morning when I drive north, but maybe next weekend when I am heading home - on I-5, of course.  It is always a special trip when I see all of the mountains along the route.  Mt. Baker, Mt Rainer, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood, Mt. Shasta.  There are a few others in the row, but I rarely ever see them.
 
#   #   # 


 

6 comments:

Ellen Lindner said...

I enjoyed your post so much, Del. It was great to see all the goings-on and I love the two auction quilts you showed!

Loretta said...

Del is having a fun, fun time. Thanks for sharing.

Martha Wolfe said...

Thanks for the recap of the conference, Del! It was a wonderful conference and great fun and a delight to meet you in person. Looking forward to next time.

deb-of-pixeladies said...

Thanks for posting about the workshop, Del. Beautiful photos and congratulations on winning bids on some beautiful quilts!

Kathleen Probst said...

What a fabulous post on the conference, the best I've read. You really captured alot with your camera and your words. Heather Dubreuil's piece was my favorite of the auction. I'm happy that it found its way to your collection and that SAQA did so well with the auction.

I'm also glad we met and chatted so often during the 4 days. It really was a highlight to spend time with you. I look forward to seeing you again when I come to San Diego next January.

Linda M said...

It was great meeting you and I'm loving your pictures, I took very few.
I'm very happy that my little mimosa leaf is in your collection.