Thursday, September 3, 2015

What do you do when you have no electricity?

Yesterday when I came home there was a hang tag on my doorknob saying that Edison Company was going to turn off the power in our neighborhood to do some emergency repair work.  I did not realize how that would impact my plans.  I knew my laptop would run on battery, but I forgot that the modem does not.  So, no computer.  I thought I would go to the library or Starbucks', but I am not tall enough or strong enough to open the automatic garage door.  So, still no computer.  Sewing?  No sewing machine.  Ironing?  No power.  I ended up writing a few checks and a few thank you notes and reading my current novel.  Then I took a nap.  And the  power was back on at 5:30pm when I woke up.  There is a great feeling of frustration and I am more sympathetic to those of you who lose your power due to weather conditions. 
 
"Moon at Sea"   Del Thomas 2015 14" X 14"
Batik and printed cotton fabrics, cotton thread.  Fused, machine applique and quilting.
#   #   #

4 comments:

Susan Turney said...

Love the quilt!

Loretta said...

However....a well needed day to relax and refresh!

Rebecca said...

It's been a while since I've been without power. What I did in that circumstance was read in the back yard (with a breeze), and use a hard-wired phone to talk to people with power. I was thinking "hand stitching," but I usually listen to radio or TV while doing that. AND this was before I was quite as tied to the internet. Hmm. At least you knew your power was coming back within hours.

"Moon at Sea" really intrigues me. Is the background so loosely woven we are seeing a counter or wall through it? It's a nice composition; I like the minimalism of the moonglade, keeping the focus on the moon itself.

J. Potter said...

Here in northern New England we've had several multi-day power outages in the decade we've lived here. They are usually caused by an ice storm (causing trees to fall on power lines), and with the first I learned how to cope. The hardest part was losing the well... our water supply.

After the third, DH broke down and got a generator that will power heat, well, modem (if the cable is working; usually it's not) and some lights and basic kitchen stuff. Hauling the sewing machine down from upstairs works for sewing if necessary. A headlamp is great for reading or walking around in the dark at night.

We really miss the web on those multi day outages, so I got an iPad that uses wifi and/or Verizon. That was before I had a smart phone...