Sunday, October 4, 2015

Revisiting TCQC quilts 10-04-15

I think I will revisit some of the quilts I have posted in the past.  This quilt with parrots was a SAQA Auction quilt in 2010.  The SAQA online auction is going on now.  Check it out at: http://www.saqa.com/auction-quiltviewALL.php
I've added a number of bird quilts to the Collection since 2010, enough to have an exhibit of just birds, including Diane  Wright's crow from section two of this year's auction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Parrots in TCQC 12-12-10
Here is another purchase from the SAQA online 2010 auction. It caught my eye immediately - the images are so crisp and the color is perfectly 'parrot-y'. Sherry likes to watch the large flock of parrots that live in her area, as I like to watch those that live in the city of Orange.
"Treetop Parrots of the Palisades" Sherry Kleinman 2010 12" x 12"
Painted, machine pieced, machine quilted.
Sherry says about her piece: "Treetop Parrots of the Palisades" was inspired by the many free flying parrots (former pets) flying around my neighborhood here in Pacific Palisades. My piece is painted with water-soluble media (crayons and pencils) on raw canvas and then machine stitched."
The tiny red buttons add texture and color.
 
But I'm not so sure about the lady bug and bee buttons. I find them distracting.
Sherry has done dense quilting over the entire design and the piece is very flat.

The backing fabric appears to be a hand dye, but it might be a batik - I can't tell for sure.
This is a great addition to the Collection. I am a bird lover and have made a number of bird quilts in the past. However, I haven't found a lot of bird quilts to add to the Collection, I hope this is the first of many. 
 
 
#   #   #

No comments: