Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Workshop with Bonnie Hunter 02-10-16

 
Today was the workshop with Bonnie Hunter offered by Surfside Quilters Guild.  There were 35 students, but the classroom (a community room at a mobile home park) was more than adequate with good lighting.  We were working on Bonnie's pattern "Texas Tumbleweeds" which is composed of two blocks - one that makes a chain and the other makes the "tumbleweeds".  Bonnie had us put down all of the (36) blocks we finished in class - I was fortunate that I managed to make one of each of the blocks.  Some of the students were doing what I think of as coordinated scrap, where the colors are limited, such as the three blue/neutral blocks across the  bottom or the two red/black & white blocks at lower left.  I purposely chose a mixed color palette and I wonder how successful it will be.  For some years I haven't made a quilt that required precision piecing and I struggled with sewing an accurate seam.  By the end of the day I had improved some, but it is one of the skills I have lost while doing contemporary quilts that don't require precision.  I do hope this project doesn't turn into a UFO.
 
I enjoyed the class which included some students who are not SQG members, so we met some new quilters who seem to be Bonnie groupies.  Lots of sharing and lots of laughter.
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

What a fun scrappy quilt! There are so many points to be matched!!! Yes, contemporary quilts take lots less precision and no directions to follow! Perhaps that why I'm a contemporary quiltmaker! Enjoy the finishing...we'll await the unveiling of the finished top!