Monday, February 26, 2018

Day two at Empty Spools with Sue Benner 02-26-18

An important correction to last evening's post....  Last evening the wonderful evening program was given by Edyta Sitar   https://laundrybasketquilts.com/  I guess my brain was too tired as I knew/know who she is.  Lovely young woman.   Fabulous program. 



Today......         Not a lot to write about tonight and I didn't take any pictures.  Just too busy trying to keep up with the class.  We had rain this morning, but since I skipped breakfast I didn't get caught in it.   

This is one of Sue's Flower Quilts
            

We cut out "rings" from our five fabrics using scissors or Exacto knives.  I stuck to scissors and even used the pinking shears I brought along.  We used five fabrics which we had cut two of each into 8-1/2" squares.  We set aside one of each fabric to be used as backgrounds.  The "rings" we cut were random widths apart and we marked them with a compass.  Then we cut on those lines using wavy lines or leaf shapes or spikes or scallops or... whatever else we could think of.  Then we "mixed and matched" the rings using the set aside 8-!/2" squares for the background.   I don't know about anyone else, but I ended up with five rings that I didn't use. We then peeled off the backing (release) paper and ironed all the pieces onto the backgrounds.  Mine are okay, but I wish I hadn't used the bright pink.  I just don't like pink, really, but I thought it would make for a different color scheme than I usually use.  Tonight we are supposed to read the instruction sheets (about eight, I think) but I left mine in the classroom, so will have to do some speed reading in the morning. 


The evening speakers were Jeannette DeNicolis, Sue Benner, and RaNae Merrill (who talked so fast I only got about every tenth word).  RaNae also played the piano for us, I guess because before she started quilting she was a concert pianist.   I took the jitney back to my sleeping room because it is still very cold and the wind makes it even colder.  I'm going to bed as soon as I post this and hope to be more intelligent tomorrow!  

#   #   #

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Quite a day you had! Thanks so much for the 'flower' instructions...now I can complete my project!
I know when you catch up you'll enjoy your time!

Carol said...

Jitney—that’s a word I haven’t heard in a long time!