Sunday, February 25, 2018

Student work from bird workshop 02-25-18

I am at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar in Pacific Grove, CA.  Finally settled into my room, which is above the classroom - very handy!  We didn't do much in our Sue Benner "Flowers" class in the one and a half hours we had today.  We set up our tables and made our ironing surface and chose five fused fabrics for our first small piece which will be four blocks square.
  
After dinner everyone met in Merrill Hall for an evening program given by Edyta Sitar (This is a correction from my original post for this date.) which was quite wonderful.  She showed about fifty quilts and talked all through the showing about the "Reason for Quilting".  I don't know if she does this for other organizations, but I highly recommend it.  Her quilts are mostly traditional and absolutely gorgeous.  

I have edited the pictures from the class and realized I didn't ask if anyone minded if I posted them on my blog.  So, if any of the ladies are reading and object, just send me an e-mail and I will remove the picture of your work.  


 
Elizabeth Carrington (teacher's sample)

Elizabeth Carrington (teacher's sample)

Taffra Mayo

Teresa Blaylock
[I was so taken with the background fabric I had to buy a yard - those great flying birds.]

Carole Olsen 
She came with two backgrounds prepared and use the other one. 

Carole Olsen

One of the students had this cute little thread stand which she uses for her bobbins.  She said it came from June Tailor.  The rubber bands are for traveling.

Christy Arburua

Regina Moore
[There is that great background fabric again.]

Joyce Chang
Joyce brought a photo if this bird - don't know the origin, not USA.

Joyce Chang
A detail of her wonderful colorful bird. 

Mary Ann Robinson

Dahlia Soon-Fung
She used a very fancy fabric with loose threads for the back. 

Sue Stepkenson
Another fantastic sky fabric. 

I was impressed with the class and the work done in such a short time.  Hope they all find time to finish these pieces. 

More about Sue Benner's class and Asilomar tomorrow evening. 
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Wow, a workshop full of talented folks...have yourself a fabulous time!