Saturday, May 25, 2019

A sewing project 05-25-19

I am practicing sewing again!  I know that I have lost some of my skills by not sewing much for several years.  Fusing, yes; Piecing, no.  I bought a jelly roll at the nice Nimble Thimble quilt shop in Gilroy, CA, and am making a  "jelly roll race" style quilt.  It isn't an actual race, but that seems to be the name for the style.  It is sewing the short ends of each strip to the next until all are in one giant long strip and then folding that in half, cutting and sewing those two strip sets together, and so on.  I have a bit of variation by adding a diagonal spacer between each strip.  

The strips in the box for me to pull them out at random.  This picture doesn't show the variety of colors, everything but black and white.  I pull at random, but if it is the same color as the last one I sewed, I pull again. 

Same deal with the spacers.  There are six different black and white prints. 

I am practicing ripping also, as I sewed a few the wrong direction.  Duh!  I am enjoying this project so much I keep thinking of variations I might try.  Maybe my creative mojo has found me again!  Hurrah!

Of course, I had valuable help. 



#   #   # 

3 comments:

Elisabeth B said...

Hi Del, I notice you have the same machine as I do. How do you make a 1/4” seam on this machine since it does not have a quarter inch foot?

sonja said...

lucky you have help as that is hard to find. i also had a Pfaff 1220 loved it but drove it into melting some essential part!
I now i drive a Bernina 830 record and her younger sister Bernina 708

Loretta said...

Well, the race is on! I purchased a Kaffe jelly roll plus a couple of solids, for a throw for my grandson and his bride's wedding is in September. I hope it will look wonderful on their new sofa. And, I'll make the deadline! Thank you once again for your inspiration.